Monday, January 24, 2022

Reflections and moss

Geneva Pond

It's Monday and I am not forgetting this week to compose a post, my self-imposed day to do so. Last week I didn't remember until it was Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure the only person who was upset about it was me. This week, I am virtuously writing a post without anything much to talk about.

I was so pleased that my lower back was getting better so quickly and so well, and then last night I had a setback. There was one area in the lower right sacrum that was just not recovering as well as all the rest, so I sat in my easy chair and worked it over, sitting on a tennis ball, rolling it around the sore area, which unfortunately was the wrong thing to do: before long, it was hurting much more than before. Did I stop then? Oh no, I just kept going until I was in agony. Then I stopped, and by the time I tiptoed into the bedroom to settle down for sleep, it was obvious that I had re-injured it.

The area in question is home to two seven-inch-long pins that were inserted to stabilize the right sacrum when I broke my pelvis in 2000, and I've dealt with pain in the area off and on since then. Fortunately for me, most of the time they don't bother me much. There is residual nerve pain, which I seem to have stirred up somewhat and am once again reminded of the original doctor's admonition just to let it heal up on its own. 

By the time I got out of bed this morning, it was better but still pretty sore to walk around as I began my daily exercises. Once I knew I could do all five of the Tibetan Rites, it reassured me that if I continue to baby the area, I should eventually be able to resume my usual hikes and walks. I am a little chagrined that once again, my impatience to regain my usual vigor has led to a teeny bit of a setback.

Today I'll try a shorter walk but still enough to get the blood flowing and help me heal up. No matter what I do, I will be good and not push myself. Really. (sigh)

:-)

18 comments:

  1. Well DJan, you certainly have a way with words as I was wincing the entire time I read this. Can't tell you how sorry I am you're dealing with this back injury, but I AM very glad to read you know better than to "work thru the pain". PS I was thinking about you a little earlier, we're getting our third snowstorm in 3 days today, Pittsburgh is finally feeling "right" again. Let's hope you're next. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! Don't we always know better than the doctors. Patience is a wonderful thing but it just takes too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the opposite of you. Rather than "working" it, I vegetate and binge watch Korean dramas or something else of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch: are you sure you don't want the doc to do a sweet little injection? I had two with some inflammed back issues and it settled it. Not a good time to venture for a skydiving trip. Heal easy. A visit to my community center hot tub helps a shoulder spur, besides the PT exercises. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the pain. I dislocated my shoulder a few weeks back, and I move it so so and excruciating pain. You'd think by now I'd know better, but like you ...no patience. I want my youth back. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, you reminded me that my doctor told me to do specific exercises every day for my lower back. Somewhere along the way I realized that when I kept doing these exercises, my back hurt more. So I stopped. I have been fine... do walk some to stay limber, but no back exercises. Perhaps the exercises work to a point, but there's something to just letting the area heal... (I tend to think that at our age, pushing yourself is not the answer).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who ever said "no pain no gain" should be shot. You are such an achiever that I can see where you might think if a little is good, a lot ought to be better. OK, I have run out of platitudes so I'll just say that hope you are taking it a little easier and letting your body heal. Be pain free soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve had to stop my daily exercise because of pain in my left leg and hip. I have exercises which help but it’s a slow recovery. Hang in there. Time will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your self talk sounds like mine.
    I wanted to go back outside to work with Tom again, but I talked myself out of it. I'm still hurting too much. I did my share of the house cleaning this morning, and have just finished folding the last load of laundry. I did six miles on the stationary bike in the garage while Charlie the Borrowed Cat kept me company. Now I get to sit for 45 minutes and read blogs until I have to start dinner, roast chicken.
    I really need to behave myself. You too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh. I am all too familiar with pushing things. And frequently push too hard, too soon.
    Look after yourself. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So , you've had this owy for a long time. It's unpleasant to be ailing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh dear. I am well familiar with back pain, after having lower back surgery myself some thirty years ago. When I feel the dreaded 'twinge' every now and again, I'm always mindful to take things slowly, warm moist heat, and an anti-inflammatory if able.
    Hope your pain subsides soon DJan, please take things slowly.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope when you rest you are not in pain, take it easy...which I know is hard for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. With my foot I have found that an old injury comes back later in life. That seems to be your case. Hopefully, it will quiet down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, I can relate to your pain. Like you said, let it heal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes you just have to be kind to yourself and very patient. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.