Thursday, July 29, 2021

Remembering Chain Lakes

From 2014

 My workout today was indoors, at the Y. My fellow Senior Trailblazers are hiking the Chain Lakes loop today that I love so much. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to hike it again, but I went back and looked at pictures of the the more than dozen times I've hiked it in previous years. This one I chose from my collections because I'm in it, the fifth from the front. This one, taken in August 2014, shows that most of the hikers from days past are no longer hiking. I guess I need to be willing to put myself in that category, too. But some holdouts, like Al and a few others, are still going strong.

This picture was taken almost at the top of Herman Saddle, a long uphill slog that is brutal in full sun and hot temperatures, like it is today. Last year we didn't do any group hikes such as this because of the pandemic, but the two years that I hiked it before were strong indicators of how much I've slowed down. I was not willing to subject myself to it again today, not to mention that my ankle is still not a hundred percent better from the bad sprain I endured a month ago. 

So, I had my first workout at the Y since it has partially opened to its customers. I took the bus to town, went to the coffee shop as usual, and headed up to the front doors of the Y, with my pass still intact and working, and headed up to the room with the exercise bike I used faithfully before the shutdown. I had forgotten all the settings I had grown accustomed to, but once I got the hang of it, it was really nice to be able to work up a good sweat with an old friend. And then I went over to the treadmill and walked on it for awhile. My speed is much slower than it was when I stopped using it before.

I ran into a few familiar faces, people who came back into the gym long before I was willing to. I did try it once, but it was a little scary. Now that I'm fully vaccinated and have been for awhile, I was happy to get reacquainted with the way the gym is today. All the machines are now spread out, and there were very few people to contend with. I did ask, when I entered, if I would need to wear my mask, and the attendant told me no... for now. That may change if this Covid variant takes hold in our community. So far we are doing okay, but I've started wearing my masks again inside grocery stores, even if they aren't required any more. Apparently even fully vaccinated people can carry the virus and infect others. It's a small risk right now, but we all thought we were done with this awful virus. Not quite yet.

Since I might not be doing hard hikes any more, I need to rethink my Thursday blog posts and figure out where to go from here. I had gotten used to only posting twice a week on DJan-ity, with the Thursday post dedicated to the Senior Trailblazers. Now I'm casting about for what I might do in the future. I will still write on my other blog on Sunday mornings, but this blog needs a facelift. I'll think on it and see what I might come up with. Anybody got any ideas?

Until then, I'll keep hoping that suddenly I'll wake up ten years younger and filled with vim and vigor. Or at least I can see if I can hold on for another year or so and hike when it's not so hot.

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Whatever you decide to blog about, I'll be here with you. I too started wearing my mask again in some areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one would be interested in revisiting some of your past hikes. Not coming from the PNW, I'm happy for the repetition. But keep up going to the Y!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always interested in what's going on in your head, if not under your feet. And about your encounters with the many people you meet up with, and your garden, and your walks closer to home.
    I do understand about having to rethink things. I still picture myself going out for a relaxing, vigorous, head clearing walk, and then I remember that I can't. I am looking forward to some cooler weather and some moderate walks. With so much heat and no rain for months, it just feels like the outside world needs a good bath.
    My mask is back on in the grocery store too. It may be a way of like for some time to come yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I intend to continue being masked for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever you decide for your blog I will follow and enjoy, Jan. Cooler days to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, you certainly were the runt of the group:)
    Keep posting and taking us with you on your plan B adventures. Like Marie, I will follow right along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your posts whatever the subject. I am still wearing my mask eventhough they are no longer compulsory in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hawaii is now in the red zone for infections so it does worry me. I'm so happy for you that you're able to get your exercise in. I've been very bad lately. I can imagine how hard those hikes are now. It amazed me that you were still doing them even with your injuries. I'd be happy to read anything you write, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you need a theme? Posts like this are just fine IMO. But maybe that will overlap too much with your Sunday posts. You'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chain Lakes was my favorite hike. When we went, the wildflowers were stunning. My DH would be unable to hike it, or any trail, this year so I'm glad we were unable to find a place in Bellingham this year. Crossing my fingers for next year. I love reading about your walks in town, your visits to various places, your interactions with people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DJan, you know I will check for your posts and comments no matter when they are or what they are about. I love to see pictures of your hiking adventures, but your thoughts about life or your daily activities are of interest also. My blog is supposed to be what life is like in retirement... but really doesn't have a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Write about whatever is on your mind...garden, flowers, walks....what is happening at the Farmers Market...what have you read or watched lately:) Always good to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our world and lives sure have changed in just the short span of a year. Just write what you want, when you want. There are no rules when it comes to your own blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with all people who posted that you continue with regular postings. I greatly enjoy your writing,opinions on many things you write about and your life in general. You are never uninteresting!!!Mary in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs.
    I look forward to all of your posts because they are a piece of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad that you are getting some exercise at the YWCA. You are better than me in that respect as I don't exercise that much except for house work. As for your blog, keep evolving.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.