Monday, July 26, 2021

Playing with my food

Zucchini, dollar bill, and big smile

After having missed a couple days of watering (and checking) the garden, this enormous zucchini emerged. I put it on the table and before long, "someone" had printed out a big smile, and added a dollar bill for size comparison (as well as eyes). 

I'm pretty sure this zucchini is the result of the sex lesson I got from Carter, who showed me the difference between male and female flowers, and he made sure that the male pollen got into the right place in the female flower. I didn't even know there was a difference, one from the other, but now I will not make that mistake again. A couple of days after my lesson, I saw a beautiful female flower just asking for a little action, but I couldn't find a male flower anywhere. And you only have a very short window of time before the flower closes up, whether or not it has been pollinated. I am really surprised at how much I've learned in this particular season, both about zucchini sex, and also about what red potatoes look like as they grow. I'm thinking I might go out and harvest some of those potatoes and cook 'em up.

We are having day after day of sunshine without any clouds in the sky. Not my favorite time of year or weather pattern. I much prefer cooler weather and some fluffy, pretty clouds to break the monotony of all thar BLUE. This Thursday the temperatures in the High Country will be too hot for me to do much, so I'm thinking of skipping joining the Senior Trailblazers and just doing something local. Somewhere that I can turn around if I get too hot and/or tired. Not to mention my ankle is better but not back to a hundred percent yet. 

How about you? How's the weather in your neck of the woods? My Southern Hemisphere friend is busy blowing soap bubbles outdoors and watching them freeze and putting the pictures up on her blog. It sure is fun to see! You can check it out here, if you want. 

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Ha! I was just thinking yesterday about freezing some bubbles of my own.

    Zucchini sex...who woulda guessed?!!

    Stay cool and don't overdo in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one giant zucchini! And thanks for the link to the frozen bubbles... what an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post. Zucchini face and frozen bubbles! Oh, and garden sex!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the weather is a mix here, a few too hot days, a few rainy, but a lot are just fine. In which case I go out for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here it's a mix of hot and cooler, sunny or overcast or pouring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot here. Your Smart Guy has a sense of humor...too bad it wasn't a fiver you could have gone out for ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve not grown zucchini. You did well with it. The two types of flowers are an interesting addition to gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of smoke here. we had a couple of days of 10 air quality. It's been warm but our nights get cool so the house cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge smiles at the happy (and obviously very contented) zucchini. And thank you for the link to my fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monarch butterflies are beginning to 'hatch' here, and I have been somewhat surprised when people can post of the sex.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that smiling zucchini. Sex in the garden?? Hum, I need to get back out there:)
    We are going into a bit of a heat wave here. Close to or over 100 for the week. Even Callie doesn't want to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those frozen bubbles are fascinating! Never will happen here in Honolulu. Never. Right now we have a typical hot summer - in the 80's but tradewinds keep it comfortable in the shade. Our streets are abloom with shower trees and poinciana trees. I do like summer in Hawaii because the mangos ripen, and I LOVE mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I, too, love those frozen bubbles in Australia. I did not know that about zucchini. I guess you need bees to pollinate the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.