Monday, June 14, 2021

June flowers and garden news

Front porch flowers today

 I was taken by surprise this morning when I walked to the bus. Yesterday's rain was supposed to be finished, with just a slight chance of showers. I foolishly believed the forecast and made all the wrong choices about what to wear. Just in case of a little rain, I wore my raincoat but instead of waterproof shoes, I wore my sneakers. Bad choices all around: it was misting when I walked out the door, but before two minutes had passed, I was in a light rain. Then it wasn't so light, and by the time I had walked the fifteen minutes to the bus stop, I was soaked. My shoes even squished.

Our flowers and gardens love all this rain, which should be completely gone before the end of the week, but for now it's kind of pretty and the mild temperatures make me want to be outdoors. If I go out again today, I'll dress properly. But first a quick foray into the garden, since the rain has stopped.

My garden spot, with massive potato greens

I tried to get a picture of the entire plot, but I couldn't show you one end without giving you the big story of my potatoes, which have become wild and unruly, and way too close together for proper "hilling" technique. So, I'll just let them go and see what I end up with when it's time for harvesting. My kale, lettuce, nasturtiums, beets and zucchini (not shown) are also going great guns. I've harvested the Russian kale and am amazed at how quickly it grows back (right in front of the potatoes in this picture).

Sort of orchid-like

Walking out the gate, I saw this delightful flower and was pleased to see it looking so pretty with the heavy raindrops pulling it down. I don't know what it is, do you? And while I was out looking at the garden, it began to rain again. Darn! Just when I thought the skies were clearing, giving me a chance to get in today's steps.

We might actually make it to 66°F today, about the temperature we hit yesterday. When I read about the heat in much of the rest of the country, I feel real gratitude for the mild temperatures and high humidity we have here. The flowers, wildlife, and all the rest of the June abundance loves it. 

I sat down to read a new book yesterday, and by the time I had read the first hundred pages, I realized I had read it before. And not that long ago, either, since it was written in 2015. Since I remember so little about it, I'll enjoy the second read, probably even more than the first one. I went ahead and re-read the last chapter, and the entire book came back to me. Now I'll enjoy a slow immersion into the rest of it, as I currently learned that the ending is a satisfying one. Do you ever forget a book like that? I never did when I was young, but now... 

:-)

20 comments:

  1. Loving your garden glory - and longing for some rain. It is forecast (again) for later this week.
    Sadly yes, I do forget books. Which means that I can and do reread them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do forget books, but I try not to reread them. So many books, so little time.
    The rain is good, yes, but I suffered for those high school graduates who had to sit/stand in the rain yesterday in the same stadium where Isaac's school had sunshine the day before. I guess they survived, and after a Covid interrupted high school experience, I guess it's just another story to add to their legendary experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know how forgetful I am since I totally forgot exactly what happened in The Rule of Four. sigh...
    Your garden is absolutely awesome! I'm envious of how lush and healthy it all is. Wow! Your flowers are so colorful and also bursting with beauty. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veggies are all growing fast and soon you will so much to harvest. Sorry but I had to laugh about the squelching shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden does look lush. It is hot here... 90 F today and 95 over in Big Ben Country where my daughter and hubby are hiking today. I'm not sure I could hike in 95 F. I envy your 66!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is way ahead of mine. Your temperatures are warmer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We could certainly use a little of your rain - but never trust a weather forecast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could use your rain also! Wow that potato has great foliage:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to say Your patio flowers look so pretty...such nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have picked up a read book once or twice, and I know that I went ahead and re-read at least one of them. I haven't re-read books purposefully yet, but I might some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some books that are hard to remember. When I read a series I can have big trouble remembering which one I read. A humorous series to read is "An Irish country Doctor" I didn't read all of them as they tend to fallow the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see your potato harvest. That is quite a display.
    Had to laugh at you rereading a book. Pretty sure I am doing that right now. It is part of a series so the characters are familiar. Sometimes I think I have and other times it seems totally new. We will see when I hit the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the porch scene!!! 66° would be heavenly right now. Your garden looks mighty healthy. I don't think I have ever re-read a book before...but, I have doubled up on them and realize I have two of the same...so, trade one in. (No library for me, we buy books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...it dawned on me just now!! I'm wondering if those purple flowers are not your potato plants blooming. Look up lavender potato flowers maybe. My dad's were shaped like yours, only white. I'm thinking maybe a different species of potato? Just a guess.

      Delete
  14. Too bad the rain got your shoes wet. Not a pleasant feeling. But, your flowers and plants are looking very good. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lush there! You may have more potatoes than you would have. Beautiful flowers, whatever they are.

    The combination of fibro fog, multitasking, getting older, and years of being housebound with Netflix and the rest--I am often not sure if I have seen an older movie or series until I watch a bit of it--LOL! And sometimes even if I know I have seen something I am not sure how it progresses or ends--LOL! But if it was something really good--I remember. Hasn't happened to me with books, but then I haven't been reading as much since my wonky eye with the macular pucker messes with the lines and gives me headaches. If I was able to read as much as I used to I am sure that would be happening to me with books, too--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only 66° degrees there? You have the best summers. We have the best winters. I wish my Seattle living daughter comes back every winter. She will soon have little one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with linda. So many books, so little time. As soon as I realize I've read it, I stop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful scenes as always thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. The purple flowers look like a Salvia hybrid. If so, hummer love them!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.