Thursday, June 17, 2021

Goat Mountain 2021

The first section of trail was easy

Today eighteen Senior Trailblazers decided to carpool up to Goat Mountain for an excursion in the High Country. Since we are limited to 12 in a group, we broke into faster and more moderately paced hikers and navigated the long drive to the trailhead. I was (of course) in the slower hikers, and by the time we arrived at the trailhead, the faster hikers were just setting out.

Trillium!

The trailhead is already at 2,500 feet, and we climbed uphill for about three miles to the viewpoint at 5,200 feet. This is a LOT of elevation gain in a short distance, but the beginning of the trail was simply delightful, with lots of trillium to enjoy, and plenty of waterfalls across the trail. 

First snow

We didn't see any snow until we got around the 4,000-foot level, but then there were patches that began to cross the trail. We managed to navigate the distance without mishap, until we got to the "meadow" where the snow was constant.

The beginning of the meadow

We donned our microspikes and started the long slog across the snow, constantly climbing upward. There were many times when the intense sun and steep climb made me wonder what the heck I was thinking! It was hard, and at times I thought about turning back. But I didn't.

Half of our crew at the top

That is the beautiful Mt. Shuksan behind some of our hikers today. It was impossible to shepherd this entire group into a picture, so I contented myself with this motley crew. I was quite spent by this time and only wanted to find a place on a rock that was not covered with snow, so I could eat my lunch. 

The spectacular view

After I rested, I took in the incredible view and then gathered my strength for when we would have to go back down the way we had come. We lingered for awhile so the faster group could take off and left us some time to bask in the beauty.

Mt. Baker

I felt quite rested and happy to be in this place, but I knew we had to get back down, and some of us were on the tired side (I'm speaking for myself here). Fortunately for us, we had great footgear to help us descend.

Mel's gear in front, Tom's behind

The difference these things make is impressive. Especially so on the uphill part, because by the time we began our descent, the snow was soft and caused some of us to slip and slide. My knees took quite a beating, but I think they'll be fine by tomorrow.

Back down to the trillium

I was very happy to finally get to take my spikes off and walk on the trail, with solid ground underfoot. We went somewhere around seven miles round trip, up and down around 2,700 feet. I'm tired, and it's close to my bedtime, so I'll sign off here and take a few moments to water the garden.

:-)

21 comments:

  1. Well done you. At the moment my footing is uncertain on uneven ground or wet leaves so I can only imagine how difficult (impossible) I would find this trek. Thank you for sharing those incredible views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter now lives in Seattle. She used to hike here in Hawaii often. I suggested that she hike in Seattle but she said, "Mom, Seattle has REAL hikers and I can't keep up."
    Through your blog, I now understand what she meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness...I'm tuckered out just reading this. I can imagine the breathing & ache as climbing wears me out. You did splendidly making the entire trek!!! And, as always...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard work, but it looks so grand up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said 3 miles uphill, you totally lost me. Very impressed that you can do that and you are not that much younger than me. You go girl. The view by the way was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed. And what views. You are my hero! It's the flat earth for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hiker numbers are up. More people must have decided to try hiking while cooped up with the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that was a cool hike. Glad you made it through the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a hike. I couldn’t do it! Excellent, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear DJan, CONGRATULATIONS! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a successful hike... beautiful scenery, friends to share it with, and great exercise! You are so lucky to have landed in such a lovely place for your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great challenge! Glad you managed it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That sounds hard. You are in good shape to have made that hike. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was steep hiking. I hope you have recovered by now, or at least aren't hurting too much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I’m exhausted just thinking about it. I don’t like even walking up our little hill. I’m always impressed with all the exercise you do, but what a fabulous view you get to enjoy when you get to the top. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Sounds like quite the trek! I hope your knees are doing okay today. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing how you can hike through snow at your age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire your perseverance in getting to the top. The views are spectacular. You must have had a mixture of elation and exhaustion when you got home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Snow and ice is not fun, thank goodness for the spikes. I have a pair attached to an old pair of snowboots for winter. Hope you got a good rest in the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uphill indeed ... but worth the view!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.