Thursday, December 12, 2019

A dark day on Blanchard Mountain

Walking to Lizard Lake
First of all, let me say that I guess I will continue to put up posts after our Senior Trailblazer hikes, because I really enjoy both the workouts and the ability to chronicle our adventures. It amazed me to see that fourteen of us showed up on a wet dreary day to hike up to Lily and Lizard Lakes.

We met at the Upper Trailhead on Blanchard Mountain and hiked up to Lizard Lake first. We do have a few trail options on the mountain, and we knew it would be a wet one, considering the forecast. But I didn't realize how dark it would be among the trees. I could have used my headlamp most of the day, it was that dark.
Lizard Lake
By the time we got to Lizard Lake, the light rain had almost stopped for the moment. It was still early, so after a short stop, we made our way to Lily Lake. We thought about stopping here, or maybe even having another two-lunch day, but we decided against it.
Melanie capturing some good shots
It was not a great day for photos, but I did get a few good ones. This shows Mel in her element, dressed for the weather and using her phone (which she kept a close eye on, after almost losing it last week).
Lily Lake (Mel's picture)
Since we were all struggling to stay warm as we stopped for lunch, most of us pulled out all our extra clothing and bundled up before starting to eat.
Today's lunch spot
From this spot, we are looking out at the lake as you see in the above picture, but the darkness and lack of sun made us much more interested in what everybody was having to eat. Some people pack a fancy lunch, while others bring energy bars and more utilitarian fare. I often bring something from the salad bar at the Food Co-op, sort of in between the two.
Time to head back
By the time we packed everything back up, everybody was getting cold, so we decided just to take ourselves back the way we had come, rather than adding any more to make the trip longer. It was not raining at the moment, and we considered that an eight-mile day, with around 1,700 feet up and down, would keep most of us happy until next week.

Although it wasn't what I would have actually desired for our hiking day, it turned out to be exceptionally enjoyable anyway, with all of us dressed properly for the conditions, and lots of good company as well. It was just the best way to while away the hours on a dark and rainy late fall day.

I am still trying to decide what to do about the other days that I usually post on this blog, Tuesdays and Saturdays. I am not quite ready to make a decision about the next steps, but it sure does feel good to take this break, if that is what it really is. Maybe I'll find some direction that would capture my interest for those days. Any ideas?
:-)

19 comments:

  1. As much as I like your hike post/photos, I DO KNOW I'd miss your blogging style...don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write when you feel like it. I have been so busy this week that I've not had time to write, but I will some day. Friday is the big bear-delivery day at Columbia and then I can breath for about three weeks with no school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just blog when you want to....no pressure. I miss you, but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how you can still have a good time if you dress properly. It'd be interesting to learn more about Bellingham and the region around, including Mount Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dianne but FG has a point too. I’d like to see more of Bellingham and the area. However, I support you whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Equipment and clothing make all the difference between a great hike and a miserable hike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Facebook always asks,"What's on your mind?" Blogs can do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark and dull it might have been - but it is still very beautiful. And in excellent company.
    As a dedicated stalker of yours for several years I will be happy with whatever you chose to post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just follow your heart. Whatever interests you might interest us too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to see you back here. Those of us who can't hike love to take the trips with you and not even feel winded:) It sure was a dark day but you made the most of it and turned it into a really satisfying day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be interested in all the other things you do besides hiking, too, even though I love seeing the beautiful areas and your hiker friends. It's always special when you sow the coffee shop or the market or something you saw while walking to the bus stop. Love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Write whatever and when ever you want! I enjoy whatever you write! I think the hikes are a must do blog...it is a great way to journal your hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually love the dark misty photos. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever you decide ... I'm just glad to be able to see all your great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you don't stop writing....I enjoy your perspective on things and the places you take us!! Mary in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt adventurous yesterday, walking 3 miles in 10 degree temperatures. We usually mall-walk when it's cold, but decided we needed to get outside. We didn't regret it, but were happy when it was over. We would have stayed warmer if we were hiking up a mountain like you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks magical up on that mountain, dark and gloomy adds even more lure.
    I enjoy our visits back and forth DJan, so hopefully you'll still be posting throughout the season, I like reading about your life, in that gorgeous state.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're the Sadge. Ideas are your pot of gold!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.