Saturday, March 3, 2018

Sublime Saturday

Early morning at Lake Padden
This morning, we ladies were gathering at Lake Padden for our two loops around the lake when I looked up to see a two-person kayak in the water, and in just the few seconds between taking out my phone and getting the picture, the kayak had slipped between the trees. It was so close to being a perfect shot, but alas, here's what I got instead.

Nevertheless, it shows the excellent weather and lack of wind as we set out for a chilly walk. By the time I had reached the far shore of the lake, however, I was pulling off clothing and marveling at how warm it suddenly seemed. It's that effort that makes me warm. When you exercise in temperatures below 64 degrees, you increase the amount of calories you burn, according to a study at Maastricht University in the Netherlands. It was 35 when we started out and warmed to around 40°F by the time we finished.

 I found this interesting website online while looking for information about why it feels so good to exercise when it's cold outside. This one lists six reasons why it's even more important to exercise in winter. It says that
The rise in your body temperature, during a workout, has a soothing, calming effect on your body, not unlike a long soak in a warm bath or lying in front of the heater.
I can attest to the truth of that statement. Anyway, I'm not done for the day, but I certainly do feel soothed and calm right now!
:-)

15 comments:

  1. It looks like a fine day for being out on a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting tidbit, DJan. I know that a long soak in a warm bath or lying in front of a fireplace calms me... as does a cup of hot tea, but I didn't know about the 'rise in body temp during a workout' did that (although I should have - as taking a long walk when one is anxious is calming).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking in cold, clear weather like today. We did our neighborhood 3.25 mile circuit this morning and it felt great! I like your photo. I would really enjoy walking there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks perfect, Jan. And perfect for walking too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful. And I am pretty certain that addicted to exercise as you are, you would/will/have exercised at temperatures which would have lesser mortals hunkered down inside. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good brisk walk on a fine day does wonders . We get out of the doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We get out and walk even when it is way below zero, for me that is better than the heat:) It sure is pretty there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did get a perfect shot with that picture! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A long hot bubble bath ... after an exhilerating, fast-paced walk around the beautiful lake. Then, later in the early evening hour, a glass of wine.

    Perfection

    ReplyDelete
  10. It the ice here this winter which has been the bugaboo...:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear DJan, "soothed and calm"--sort of my definition of "contentment"! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to get exercise. I walk every day too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No kidding? I wish I'd known that when we lived in the Midwest. I'll try it out a little when we're on the East coast in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It never gets really hot here in the mountains of CO, and the past few days it's been really cold. I had to force myself out today, but within the first 10 minutes, I was smiling and so glad to be outside in the brisk weather. With all the exercising I do in the cold, I should be skinnier than I am!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.