Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Fun facts about the equinox

Feathery frost
A couple of weeks ago I posted one of the two pictures I took of my car's windshield when I went out to clear it on a clear, cold morning. It's so lovely I thought I'd share it once again. I won't have many more occasions to scrape ice this year, I hope.

Today is the first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, the vernal equinox, and the first day of fall in the Southern Hemisphere, the autumnal equinox. However, whichever side of the equator you're on, we both share one fun fact: it's the only two days of the year (in March and September) when the sun rises due east and sets due west, worldwide. Here's some fascinating information, if you want to learn more.

Our days and nights are also of (almost) equal length, which is where the name equinox comes from: the Latin words aequi, which means "equal," and nox, which means "night." That link will also tell you about how the Mayans celebrated the equinox, which I found interesting but also a little scary.
:-)

11 comments:

  1. Love the snake of sunlight.
    We are a bit silly here - and start our seasons on the first of the month in which the equinox (or solstice) appears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to some warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold and clear here today.

    One of the papers here noted that there's a difference between the first day of spring and the first day that it feels like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I didn't really know that. Art knew, but sadly I didn't. Sigh. Thank you for educating me. This is so interesting. Art says that's why I didn't need the flashlight today at the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the temperatures warm up now that the sun is back, Jan. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a good day to reaffirm equality for all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's also interesting how ancient people identified and celebrated the equinox. So happy equinox day if there is such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It snowed here today and may snow again tomorrow...where oh where is spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually am a bit smarter when I leave here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting info. Dawn breaks earlier these days here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And Florida is getting a cold front...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.