Saturday, January 13, 2018

Trying to stay healthy

Me, Carrie, John
A couple of weeks ago, Carrie (the manager of Avellino's) gifted some of the old timers, including John and me, some knitted Avellino's hats, shown in the picture above. Carrie is wearing one, too, but you wouldn't know it if I didn't say so.

This is becoming quite a flu season, isn't it? So many people I know have gotten sick, flu shot or not, and every time I touch a handle used by many people, I stop to wash my hands once again. John succumbed to a bad bout with the flu, even though he got a high-test flu shot a few months back. He ended up spending the last week in the hospital, and I got to see him for the first time in a week this morning when Lily and I went there for coffee before heading off for our usual Saturday morning walk.

John spent four nights in the hospital and was really, really sick. He was given Tamiflu and IV hydration, along with medication for his sodium level, which had tanked. The reason he spent so much time in the hospital is that they couldn't seem to bring it up very quickly. John eats a LOT of salt, so I was surprised to find this had happened to him. I looked it up online and found that there are several reasons it might have gone so low. The medical condition is called hyponatremia.

Anyway, he was at the coffee shop this morning looking a little worn out and not exactly brimming over with energy, but upright at least. He said all he wants to do is sleep, which he intended to do once he returned home after coffee and a bagel. I'll see him again in the morning for our usual Sunday meeting, and I'm hoping by then he will be feeling better. This is a strong flu, and I'm sure hoping I can keep from getting it myself. Several women on the walk are in the process of recovering from being sick, too.
:-(

18 comments:

  1. My granddaughter the nurse, has a hospital full of flu patients, the shortage of saline is worrying.
    Hope John feels like his self before much longer, he needs to take it slowly.
    I love your hats, what a kind thing to do from your friend, a lovely picture :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the midst of the flu, but hopefully nearing its end. It's been brutal. LOTS of people sick in the waiting rooms. UGH.
    Hope John feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather has kept us in for the most part. That’s probably a good thing. Stay flu free, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the flu shot - and am hopeful that keeps me safe! Although, I am in the midst of a never-ending cold as I type. Stay healthy, DJan and I hope John is back to himself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David and I are fine, but my sister has been sick with the flu for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flu is a vicious beast. I hope you can escape its clutches and that poor John recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been hearing reports of the high occurrence of the flu and that it is particularly vicious on young children and old people. So far we have escaped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry that your friends have gotten sick. Hope you can stay healthy. It's hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is your vision so good that you don't need your glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  10. People who get this flu really suffer . And yes, flu shot or not people get the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you stay well! I have heard that the flu shot this year is only 10-30% effective...that is not so good. We keep hand sanitizer in the vehicle and try not to go where there are lots of people.
    I am so glad John is okay. Lots of people are in the hospital with this one.
    Cute hats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too are trying our best to stay healthy; washing hands, using hand sanitizers, staying away from crowds, etc. The cold weather has kept us home a lot... so possibly that helps. And we had the flu shot in October. But there are many many in Texas that are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, keep that sanitizer handy. Even being housebound I have occasionally caught things no one who visits has had despite remembering to wash my hands when I go out and touch door handles, etc. But you never think about all the people who have handled packages and mail--so I have tried to remember, but am not very good about the mail. Thanks for the reminder. :) Stay healthy!! I hope John is his old self again soon. Rest is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it is a nasty flu year globally. Buddy had a spell in November. It gives pneumonia to many. Uk daughter had it just now and is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am trying to avoid heavy 'traffic' areas during the epidemic....like malls & shopping centers. Washing my hands frequently, etc.

    High flu season here too. Hope he continues to be on the mend.

    Love the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear DJan, I'm glad your friend John is recuperating and that he's taking care of himself by sleeping when his body lets him know it's time.

    There doesn't seem to be a huge outbreak of flu here in Missouri--or at least it's not on the evening news. I so hope that the elderly and the very young have the shots that might help lessen this flu's influence. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a nasty flu season. I've heard that it sometimes turns to pneumonia. I was having dizzy episodes this summer, and the DR actually wondered if maybe I was suffering from hyponatremia. She recommended not restricting my salt so diligently. I still don't salt when I cook, but I allow myself a handful of salted pretzels for a snack and the dizziness is much better. Stay well, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard how bad the flu season was on the mainland. When we were in Maryland, everybody was sick. Everybody. My son and family had a horrible cold though. It wasn't the flu. Thank goodness John is recovering and that you are being careful. Those hats will keep your head warm too.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.