Saturday, January 20, 2018

Siberia knows what cold means

Anastasia Gruzdeva in Yakutsk, Russia
You might already have seen this picture: it was all over my Facebook feed, as well as in the Chicago Tribune this week. I saw it and was fascinated by her eyelashes and had to share it with you. The entire article is here. I not only noticed her eyelashes, but also the fact that she seems to be wearing iPhone earbuds as she took her selfie. Well, that says something about the resilience of the phone's battery, don't you think? According to the article, it was way below anything I could imagine, somewhere around minus 80°F. Yikes!
Here come the walkers
This morning it was downright balmy here in Bellingham, temperature well above freezing and a chance of rain (it didn't, really, but last night's rain is evident in this shot). We walked around Zuanich Park, a short one of between four and five miles. Some of us then went off to join the Women's March for Peace and Justice in solidarity with several more cities around the country.
Colorful flags and blue skies
By the time I arrived at City Hall for the march, there were thousands of people already there. It was probably a smaller gathering than a year ago, but there were many more people with signs bearing a positive message this year. With the same sense of being around so many people demonstrating our right to peaceful assembly, something not everyone around the world is able to do, I was so pleased to be a part of this wonderful and harmonious crowd.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. Wow. That IS cold and a stunning photo.
    And thank you so much for marching. I love that there were positive messages too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That woman’s photo is incredible, especially the eyelashes as you mentioned.

    The march was a huge success again this year. People seem more hopeful because of the election later in the year? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cold looks cruel, thank goodness she lived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder about the eyelashes...perhaps they have been enhanced ...I have seen moustaches similar but not eyelashes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Far Side of Fifty, I'm skeptical of this photo. Maybe some photo shop ? I'm glad you marched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not in "marching " form at the moment, and having had a previously scheduled meeting this morning, I did not participate in Seattle's march this year but I am glad to see that there was a big turn out here and all over the country again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome! How wonderful that you were able to march. Good for you! I looked online, but couldn't find a march taking place here in Hawaii.

    The eyelashes freeze? Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep marching, seems to me your country needs you! I complained to my son one day when it hit -40 here, and he said "You haven't felt cold until you've unloaded a plane on the shores of Huson's Bay at -60!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the eyelash look. Wonder if the cosmetic companies will try to imitate the look.
    Kudos on joining the march. So glad it has not lost steam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stupid Trump actually tried to take POSITIVE credit for the marches, on Twitter. Hey dumb ass, they were marching AGAINST YOU. geez.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read the article and wow! Now that is cold! And then they eat frozen food, too! Saliva can freeze?! I like the cold, but not THAT cold. ;)

    Happy you went to the march!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad the weather was better than Russia's for that march!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply amazing !
    I'm not sure I would be comfortable enough to let that much ice/frost come so close to my eyes though.
    Peace....what a lovely thought.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for marching. Siberian winters - no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw that photo of that Russian in the newspaper. It's something you won't see in Hawaii. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear DJan, I'm so glad you got to march. I wasn't aware of anything being done here. It's essential that we proclaim the values this country was founded on and that have been added as our history has passed. Unless we support love, honor, and compassion, they will disappear from the political arena and minds of the politicians.

    As to the picture: once in Minnesota, I walked to the University for a class while wearing my new contact lenses. The sun on the four feet of snow made my eyes watered and I ended up with ice crystals on my eyelashes. When I'd blink, the ice would clatter down my face! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those crosted eyelashes!! A whole new trend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go DJan. I keep dropping hints in my two blog but our little town hasn't had any marches yet. Perhaps I could start a protest parade with my two females, Mrs. T. and Lilly. They are big time advocates and despite sub zero temperatures our Main Street is only two blocks lone...:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.