Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hike and our annual holiday party

The festive hikers in cold weather gear
Well, I am definitely back into my old routine already. After having traveled for fifteen hours yesterday, from one corner of the country to the other, I got up this morning and packed up for a short hike before our annual holiday Christmas potluck. The people in this picture are only a small portion of our group who showed up for the party, because it was only 20°F — way too cold for some people. It was a bit of a shock to my system, too, after having temperatures in Florida in the 80s.
Hertz Trail on north shore of Lake Whatcom
The day was beautiful, if a little on the cold side, and I enjoyed myself immensely. We were also going to our annual holiday party afterwards, and so this six-mile-long trail was perfect. We would be done in time for lunch and would join the other Trailblazer group at Sue's house. On the way back, I saw these icicles that give an idea of how cold it was.
Icicles coming out of the moss
It's pretty unusual for it to get really cold temperatures in our part of the country, but occasionally I'll see frozen icicles dripping down the side of a rock, like this. Considering how frigid other areas of the country are right now, our cold snap doesn't seem that bad. It will be gone before the weekend is finished.
The dessert table
By the time I arrived at Sue's house, food was already being laid out. This is the dessert table; I wasn't even able to get close to the main dishes, as people were already lining up to enjoy a marvelous spread.
Digging in
This was only a small portion of the numbers of people who showed up. I counted at least forty and I suspect we had more than that. And everybody brought wonderful food to share. Before people began to leave, the other group asked us to take a moment to honor Pat, their leader, by signing a memory book that they had designed for him.
Pet opening his memory book for the first time
There were blank pages in the back and front of this book, so that we could write a short note to Pat. He's retiring from leading because of health issues, but he will still be going along on the ones he is able to navigate, although not leading them. Pat was the leader of my group when I started nine years ago, and he is one of the most knowledgeable people about the wilderness and trails I've ever met.

It was a very good day, and I feel so lucky to be part of this community. Now that I've gotten a hike in for my usual Thursday activity, I can feel that I'm slipping right back into my routine. I miss those early morning swims in the outdoor pool with my sister, though.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you are amazing. Glad you got back in time to enjoy the hike and the holiday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to be back in your usual routine, and back with good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you were back home in time for the hike and Christmas party. 20 degrees F would have been too cold for me. You are a hardy bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these Christmas gatherings are always exciting. I have a skating Christmas do and a birding coffee and cake do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a change for you in 24 hours! And yes, you're very lucky to be part of a community like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Routine is a wonderful thing.
    I am so glad you were back in time for the hike and your Christmas potluck - and suspect that Pat will cherish that book. A lovely gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear that you are back home! Send warmer weather this way as we are stuck in the deep freeze. 20 degrees would seems like a heatwave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a lunch party today too but no hiking involved, just a lot of work since I was the host. It was fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun group of people! You are lucky to be a part of such a great group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! You're already back on the trail. Awesome! You're awesome, DJan. 20 degrees? Yikes! I hope there wasn't much of a wind chill. Love that holiday party. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you had a safe trip back, and a lovely holiday outing with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Temperature shock! But what a grand turnout, good company and good food. Glad you are home safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you are home safe and sound and back into your comfortable routine. The dessert table looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adaptable and tireless you are, Jan. Fifteen hours of travel would be too much for many of us. Then you hiked into your regular routine seamlessly! Well done. It sounds like a wonderful group.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome home DJan - and of course you started that first day off really well. Love the icicles on the moss, great group shots too. Wow, what a large group of hikers you had and a nice get together as well to eat that wonderful array of food. I think I would have tried em all. Yep, it is very cold here this morning. Its a manageable -21, however, with a wild wind blowing from the north, feels like -25 or more. Guess Ill have to walk down at the indoor track today - this cold will freeze your face rather quickly or eyes. What a nice gift for Pat, and congrats to all his hikes and memories - he has room for more which is nice too. Cheers from the frozen north.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your group really puts on a spread. You seamlessly slid back into your routine. Also sweet that you all gave the book to Pat. He really started a wonderful tradition and it is good he can still participate on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful day. You are so lucky to have so many friends. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That omelet in a previous post looks amazing! And so does the dessert spread. I bet everyone worked up a good appetite on that frigid hike. We're cold here too. -5 as a high tomorrow. Why did I come back from Florida again?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see that you are safely home and it must have been so nice to up with your sister.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.