Saturday, November 28, 2015

Not even December yet

Icy leaves
I went on a very nice hike yesterday with two of my dear friends, Al and Carol. Steve wasn't feeling well or we would have been four. We went up the south side of Stewart Mountain in the cold sunny weather we've been blessed with this Thanksgiving weekend. Our Black Friday was much more white than black. Although the sun was shining in a cloudless sky, we weren't exactly warm when we started out. This hike takes us pretty unremittingly uphill through the trees, so it didn't take long before we were warm from exertion. The air was still, with no breeze at all, and we would find little pockets of very cold air where the leaves were frozen solid. There was nothing to stop the cold air from remaining, and no sunshine reaches these spots at this time of the year.
Carol and Al, with Mt. Baker and the Twin Sisters behind
We made our way to the top of a hill that gave us a beautiful view. Although we had around three or four inches of snow to navigate at this point, it was so warm from the sun that we didn't even need to put on any extra clothes when we stopped for lunch. Just lovely!
Lake Whatcom below us
We started our hike at the level of Lake Whatcom and climbed to this place where we had a magnificent view in this direction, too. The stagnant air, caused by high pressure that isn't allowing the usual scouring breeze to clear the wood smoke and other pollutants, can be seen along the horizon. We were high above it. I understand it will continue to trap the bad air until Monday when the high pressure will break down, and then we'll return to our usual rainy weather.

I heard on the radio today that the Surgeon General of the US believes that being happy helps to make us healthy, rather than the other way around. I kind of think that might be true, since I'm feeling grateful to live in such a wonderful place and happiness surrounds me.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. I think the happiness and health question is a bit chicken and egg. I am not sure which came first, but they sit together very nicely.
    Loved walking with you - and those views. And envy the coolth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery! So nice that you have avid hikers for friends, I know you must have missed your Thursday hike this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful views and great friends.... can't beat that combination.
    I love the patterns of the ice on the leaves. Stunning....
    I'm sorry that Steve wasn't feeling well. When you see him again, tell him that one of your blogging friends said a prayer that he will feel better soon.
    Take care of you, and continue to do that which makes you happy.
    Sending love from Georgia....
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twenty-six degrees outside this morning. Can't imagine hiking. But I might go for a bundled-up walk in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me homesick for the northwest. Even when the air is cold the outdoors call your name. I even love the smell of the rain.

    Be well.

    b+

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hiking on clear, cold days. Your frost photo is lovely, as is the view from your lunch spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the surgeon General is on to something. You certainly want the foul air to move on? Maybe to somebody else's back yard???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's an interesting thought. Being happy is one of the very practical things you can do to remain healthy, not just a pollyanna attitude to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, snow! And today here in Florida it was 85.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love this cold, clear weather! I will be sorry to see the dark skies and rain return, even if it does clear the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love reading about your hikes. I like walking in brisk weather as long as there is no wind. I think the Surgeon General is right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy=healthy. Sounds good to me. Crispy, lovely hike above the toxic fog. Now that's a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...is this what y'call a "Threesome" then? You posted you 'made out to the top of the hill". Oh, gimme a break DJ...it's early in the morning and I just got up, so maybe I'm still in the bedroom mode of thought. rofl

    I knew what you meant, but had to tease you a bit.

    Lovely hike, beautiful scenes, and to have clear blue skies and brisk Autumn/Wintry air sounds like a perfect outing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh... I'm happy but still fighting this darn cold. It is getting better but so slowly. Wow! That's definitely frost. Going for a hike is a much better way to spend your Black Friday weekend. That would keep you happier and healthier, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one clear blue sky alright. What a view. I can see why you love it out there. I also enjoyed reading your Thanksgiving post. What a great partner! I still haven't been able to scour out the burnt remnants from my roasting pan. And thanks so much for visiting my writing blog. I'd welcome your red pen any day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. bless you, always, with good friends, good health, great views and good air. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do live in a beautiful place and as you said being healthy and happy are connected, plus being outdoors is good for us, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You sure do live in a beautiful place.. geographically and mentally. Wonderful photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like a good thing, to be happy. Let it be so.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.