Saturday, September 28, 2013

About that party

Wearing the oldest thing in our closets
When I returned from this end-of-summer party at Jonelle's home last Tuesday, I realized I had left my camera behind, and I was unable to post any pictures to explain this picture (which was sent to me byAl that same evening). The picture in my camera that was making everyone smile is this one of all of us. Peggy's bridal veil kept getting in someone's face until we thought of this creative solution. The theme of the party was to wear "the oldest thing in your closet." Here's the story of each one:
1970: Army uniform
Doug didn't actually wear this hat with his uniform, but he found this one years before and it just went perfectly with the outfit, don't you think? Looks smashing to me!
Jonelle, Rita, Amy
Jonelle is wearing a dress from 1939 that belonged to her mother. It's an exquisite velvet item, set off with a beautiful necklace that was also her mom's. There were a few spots on it that she thought might have been from her spit-up when she was a baby. Rita is wearing a silk punjabi that she had made while in India in the 1960s. Amy is wearing a beautiful two-piece outfit that she had made in Hong Kong in 1966. (I'm not sure of the exact dates, now that I'm writing this post. I'll correct them if they're wrong.)
Peggy, her husband Lyle, Jonelle
Peggy is wearing her wedding veil from 1969. She said she also has the dress hanging in her closet, but it was just a wee bit snug. The veil still fits, though! Lyle is wearing his high school letter sweater from 1965; Jonelle is holding his arm so the number would show.
Jonelle and Al
Al didn't know the exact date of this ensemble, but you can certainly tell it's got a few years on it. The width of the tie, the burgundy shirt (which is coming back in style) and the jacket tell an interesting story. I don't know what Jonelle was exclaiming about; by this time I think I'd already had at least a half glass of wine.
Udo and Diane
Udo said he can get into these old pants only because he lost some weight recently. His cool hat makes the outfit complete (along with the suspenders). Diane definitely got some use out of those old jeans, don't you think? If they are STILL in her closet, which made me wonder if she wears them around the house even today.
Ward and Linda
Ward's jacket is made of wide wale corduroy, and Linda is wearing a scarf from a long time ago. I don't remember if I learned any dates for their old items, but I was pleased to see their smiling faces at the party. They were leaving the very next morning off on another camping trip, so I wasn't sure if they would be there.
Me in my dad's Harris Tweed
When I was about ten or twelve, my dad came back from a trip to Hong Kong with a Harris Tweed jacket made especially for him, with his name in it and everything. When he died, my mother had the jacket remade to fit her, and when she died, I inherited it. It's very heavy and a bit scratchy, but it still is quite wearable. I bought the hat at a secondhand store; I was looking for a fedora, and this is as close as I got. My dad always wore the jacket with a bolo tie; I wore a silk scarf, since I didn't have a tie.

We had a great time and I'm already looking forward to next year. We discussed what kind of a theme we might come up with for end-of-summer 2014, with some ideas already percolating in our heads. Last year, we all dressed up. Apparently I didn't write a post, though, since I can't find one.
:-)

30 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a party. Would certainly have plenty to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun theme!!! I like reading the history of your tweed jacket!!

    But a dress that is dated 1939!?!! Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. i like...i love hats so i did yours...and udo's....my fav hat i own is like his....i like the old school sweater as well....def fun times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You got your camera back! What fabulous idea for a party. Love the story behind your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great theme, photos, and explanations.
    Loved this!!
    You guys have such fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno right now and he always wears the Harris tweed jacket. He mentions how expensive it is and how he has his initials sewn in it so nobody will walk off with it at Harvard. Love all these photos, DJan. What a great idea for a party! You do look fabulous in the jacket and jaunty hat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what great fun! i am so impressed with the 'keeps' that were worn - and just goes to show how fit all of you are - still being able to fit in them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great party. Sounds like loads of fun! I would wear a white and gold shawl from Japan that I received as a gift in 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a theme party. I might even go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a get together - I am sure you had tons of fun and I loved reading the history of the outfits. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the party idea. I have last century items in my closet, including a couple of pair of boots I love, fit well, and cannot bear to discard. What a great idea for a get-together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite the fun theme! It started me thinking about the oldest thing I have. I have lots of old stuff but I'm not sure about oldest. My favorite would be a wool sweater knitted by my mom and given to me in the 1960's Thanks for making me think about a memory of my Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun theme for a party! I haven't heard of that before. It got me thinking about what I have around here that's old as the hills. I doubt anything would fit me! I really like the idea, though! My husband has definitely got some oldies that he is hanging onto!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it amazing that each one found stuff going back so far in time. I have nothing of that sort in my wardrobe these days as all had to be replaced after the 2008 fire.
    Such a fun group!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I enjoyed seeing the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you look fabulous in tweed!! quite the pose

    love all the outfits, everyone looks great

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute photo of you in your Dad's/Mom's jacket. I like the party idea and may steal it. My GF had a party for women friends to wear a gown from your closet- fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun party idea! Got me thinking what I would wear...that would still fit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All my old clothes look like ... old clothes. So from my perspective, that's quite a nattily attired group you hang out with!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad we got to see the pictures you took! That's such a fun idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a BRILLIANT idea! You all look smashing! And the smiles on your faces are a clear indication that fun was had! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE that theme for a party! And it clearly put everyone in the right mood for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you all had a very creative time. Isn't it amazing how long clothes will last if we hang on to them and take care of them. My husband has tuxedo jackets in his closet that go back to the 70s. For awhile I still had my high school sweater, 1967 when I bought it, but I finally tossed it as I figured no one would be interested in it. I still have the sweater in which I took my high school senior photo, 1969, but I don't know if it still fits.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear DJan, what an interesting posting this was. My oldest thing--which I couldn't wear not--is my Easter dress from when I was 5. I do have a veil from my first holy communion--when I was 8--so maybe it would fit on my head. I also have my first prom floor-length dress. It's so beautiful that I just can't give it a way. I wore it when I was 17, but my waist is so much--SO MUCH--bigger now.

    I envy you that Harris Tweed jacket of you dad's! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was such a great theme for a party! Makes me feel festive just reading & seeing pictures. Lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous idea for a party. I love your outfit with your dad's tweed jacket.

    You got me thinking about what's in my closet. The oldest thing I can think of is from the 90s and nothing as cool as the outfits I see here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I still have my Mom's high school letter sweater. Somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great fun. I want to party with your group!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.