Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Way

I just got home after seeing what I thought was a wonderful movie, The Way, written and directed by Emilio Estevez, Martin Sheen's son. According to Rotten Tomatoes, which is linked above, it has an 80% freshness rating. Those who didn't like it thought it was too sentimental and pedestrian. Well, they must not know much about spiritual quests, if you ask me! I've been on a few of these myself.

The movie is about a guy, Tom Avery, played by Martin Sheen, with flashbacks and hallucinations where he sees his son Daniel (played by Emilio Estevez) that shows the relationship the two of them had. Like most fathers and sons, it was complicated. Then Daniel is killed in France on the first day of a 900-mile-long pilgrimage, the Camino de Santiago. I had heard of this before, an ancient pilgrimage to the burial site of St. James in Santiago de Compostela in Spain. It is also known in English as The Way of St. James. This link tells you that it has been traveled by pilgrims for more than a thousand years and has several different starting points, but they all end up in the same place. It has now been named one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.

Anyway. The movie is about Tom going off to France, where Daniel had been caught in a storm and apparently froze to death, to collect his body to bring home. When he sees Daniels's backpack and provisions for the trip, he decides to have the body cremated and walk the pilgrimage himself, with Daniel's ashes. The movie is about the journey that takes Tom from his insular world as a Southern California ophthalmologist who was estranged from his son to a pilgrim attempting to find what his son was trying to teach him about life.

On the way, he runs into three characters who are as emotionally damaged as he is himself, and they become an unwilling group traveling the Camino together. One of my favorite reviews is from Steve Persall, the Tampa Bay movie critic. His full review is here, but I give you a favorite quote:
Like any road trip movie the path is scattered with colorful characters and, in this case, vibrant culture. Estevez stated in interviews that The Wizard of Oz influenced his style, with Tom as a grouchy Dorothy and three traveling companions discovering their hearts, brains and courage.
I really loved this movie, and I am grateful that my independent theater, the Pickford, gives me the chance to see movies that don't always make it into the big theaters. This one deserves to be seen by as many people I can talk into going to see it. Believe me, I'm working on it!
:-)

29 comments:

  1. I would love to see the movie. Two years ago I followed Rita who walked Camino de Santiago and blogged accounts of her pilgrimage along the way.

    http://rita-underthemilkyway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seldom see movies unless it is on the Internet and then it is rare. I still enjoy some of those movies made and released this time of year back during the War years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell hubby about it. I never watch movies anymore, but he is a movie addict/buff, watching 3 movies per week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice...i dont think i have seen anything about this movie...but it sounds like it is right up my alley...thanks for the heads up djan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is interesting and can understand you recommending the movie to everyone.
    I make note of it and when I re-start my Netflix account, I will add this to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. A friend of mine walked the Camino de Santiago a few years back, and I have been fascinated with it ever since. Hopefully it will go to DVD, since I suspect it won't come to the cinemas here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to watch for this one or ask our local special movie group to bring it in.
    Since I know people who have done this trek, it makes it that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is already saved in my Netflix queue for when it is released in DVD. Looks right up my alley, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful movie, DJan! Thank you for this great review. This is just the sort of movie we and especially my son would love to see. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I so hope that movie comes out here!!! But Alicante doesn't get much non-commercial fare... :s

    The Camino de Santiago is a VERY BIG DEAL in Spain! Both for the religious who view the pilgrimage, and for hikers/walkers who longingly speak of doing the trek (or at least parts of it). You can be sure it's something most of the country has on their bucket list (and I'm no exception!)

    I like the idea of Emilio Estevez directing himself and his father as father and son... :o)

    Thanks for bringing this one to my attention DJan! I'll keep my eyes wide open for it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. woah! IMDB says it was released in Spain back in Fall 2010!!! I was in Belgium then so totally missed it! :s

    Will now go out and look for the dvd... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this movie! Glad to see you promoting it because it was special and a great personal transformation movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this sounds like one movie that will be on my 'to watch' movies!!! Filled with truths, and inspiration. We all need a good flick like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like my kind of movie :) I can't wait to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, that's definitely my kind of film too. I'll put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I might have to check this out. Our city recently opened a theater that plays independent films so there's actually a chance that I could see it here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just saved it to my Netflix queue for when it's available on DVD.

    We considered doing part of that walk in the years we were doing longer distances. I hear it's quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Demented. Ha! Uff Da Lutefisk. In other news that movie is definitely on my list. Although I usually have to drag the hubbs to the theatre. we see most things at home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this great review. I'll have to watch for this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for letting us know about this movie. It sounds like a great one to me. I hadn't heard of it before, but I will be looking now. I really like the whole idea of it, so, you sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful. We've been waiting for some good movie reviews for the holidays. This sounds liek El Camino the path shirley maclaine traveled in one of her books.
    - Trish

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like this Movie is on my list. Thanks for the post DJan - this is my kind of movie.
    Wild weather here. Torrential downpour all night, including thunder n lightning and this morning its blown' a gale and snowing??
    Have a great Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw an interview with them on Ellen a couple of weeks ago, and was very impressed. I love Martin Sheen and had the good fortune to meet Emilio in the art gallery I worked at in Santa Fe. Have you read Shirley Maclaine's book about her pilgrimage on the Camino? I found it very interesting. Thanks for the review. I look forward to this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't seen this movie but, after reading your review, it's sounds like one I would really enjoy. I know this story will surely touch my heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have heard of the Camino de Santiago and I'm a fan of Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. Guess I'll have to look for this movie. Thanks for the heads up DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw this movie a couple of months ago and also really liked it.The photography and soundtrack are both spell-binding, and the message is profound.

    ReplyDelete
  28. THANK YOU so much for reminding me of this film DJan! Reading your review I remembered vaguely hearing about it last year and wanting to see it, but since I never saw it advertised in a cinema near me I forgot... now it's out on dvd (in Spain) so I found it and just saw it with my parents in between lunch and decorating the tree, and all three of us LOVED IT!!!

    Such a wondrous mix of tears and laughs... plus the Way itself and the music... a beautiful story! I actually think I'll head down to the FNAC and see if they have it and buy it. Definitely a film to be enjoyed more than once! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.