Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hannegan Pass Wow factor

Fred (in the red hat) likes to talk about the "Wow factor" on our hikes. Today nine Senior Trailblazers headed up the Mt. Baker Highway to the Hannegan Pass trailhead, where we got to experience lots of "WOWs". The weather forecast was for morning clouds and sunny skies in the afternoon. (Notice there was no rain, which made us VERY happy.) The trail was pretty snow free until we got to the Hannegan campgrounds, but we wanted to make it to the pass, which meant traversing some snow.
Just above the turnoff to the campgrounds, we ran into some serious snow, which was pretty much constant until we got to the pass. It was fairly easy to follow the trail, however, with a good leader. The clouds had not lifted at all, and in this picture you can see that the filtered sunlight was causing mist to rise off the snow. It was pretty warm, and we were all very comfortable until we turned the final corner to Hannegan Pass. At this point we had a breeze coming from what seemed like both directions, and being sweaty from the 2,000-foot elevation gain, stopping for lunch meant getting a bit chilly.
Yes, this is Linda trying to get warm after having had lunch, at 5,000 feet elevation on August 11 in the Pacific Northwest. There have been days on previous hikes to this point when we didn't see any snow at the pass and went on to the summit of Hannegan Peak. Take a look here if you don't believe me. In 2009, I went all the way to the top, but this year three of our numbers decided to give it a try and got nowhere. The snow this year has made it totally impassable. At least for a bunch of old seniors.
Not all of us are all THAT old. Joanne, a new friend, joined us for the first time today. She was the youngster on today's hike, but since she's over sixty, I figured it was all right to let her join us. She's very fit, and she and her husband are active in several local hiking and climbing groups. I learned a great deal about her today, and I think she would have left me in the dust, had she not been so sweet and accommodating to her new hiking buddies.
We headed back down and made it to the cars with plenty of time to spare. Our daylight is beginning to wind down; I notice that we are losing more than three minutes of daylight each day, but it's so green and lush wherever we hike, I realize there are some benefits to having such a cool and snowy summer. Hopefully it means that our fall will extend into many golden days ahead. But nothing is for certain, except that we are blessed beyond description in this part of the world. I couldn't even begin to cover the gorgeous wildflowers I saw on this hike that contributed to the Wow factor, so if you really want to see more, click on the "Trailblazers Summer 2011" in the sidebar.
:-)

24 comments:

  1. DJan, you are just amazing! I can't believe all the snow this year (I looked back at the area last year, quite a difference!) I love that you are out there, hiking away and enjoying the company of like minded friends and the breathtaking beauty of your spectacular area of Washington! Lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that rock cliff in the first pic hit the wow factor for me...this sounds like an amazing trip...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some serious "WOW" going on there. It's so beauitful.

    As always, I take my hat off to you for hiking as much as you do.

    ENJOY!
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed too how fresh and green it still is in many places in August this year, when usually it's getting tired and dusty and drab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your hikes have the Wow factor for me on so many levels. The scenery is amazing, and totally alien to me, and I love that it is senior walkers out there enjoying life to the full.

    Thanks for yet another vicarious walk. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't rain here in Hawaii every day; usually it's once a week, though it does rain more frequently in the mountain areas. You are so fit, DJan. I admire that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is especially a big Wow on that first pic! Beautiful!! But I love the lush pathways you travel to get there. too. So much snow this year. Makes you wonder what it will be like next year? Less, more, the same? It is always interesting to see where you and your friends venture off to! And now you have a new member. Nice! Have a great weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this snow in August? Wow! I am so very much in awe of you. How wonderful to be out there in all that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sort of animals do you see while you are hiking like that? I would be interested to know.
    Thanks
    Lilly
    Stunning photos and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One could almost smell and feel the fresh air in that first photo, DJan...Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The WOW factor: you and your hiking group!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a wonderful hike except the snowy bit - so steep - not for me! I love that you didn't get any rain for once. Great pics, gorgeous trees, lovely company and another great day out.
    I think you only do it to justify the glass of wine when you get home?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing how you guys amble up and down the mountains.

    I am still on virtual vacation – a sabbatical of sorts but love to pop in on people. To me it is something like opening the door on the outhouse...

    You are always in for a big surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didn't you have someonenew a week or so ago. Sounds like your group is a fun group so you may be getting some new hiking friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right-those are some amazing wildflowers! Actually, all the pictures are beautiful. Everything is so lush and green. It's like a different world; here I'm having to walk across the half dead grass to water my trees so they don't die in this ridiculous heat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see lots of wow's in those photos, I love the first one. You do still have quite a bit of snow over that way, even our highest here are snow free.

    I've been noticing the days are getting shorter but we still have a little bit of summer left. It has been an unusual summer, our temps have been about ten degrees cooler than normal. We have barely topped ninety where most summers we would have triple digits.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you stand another WOW? I would like to add mine now. WOW and WOWEE. I just don't know where you get the gumption and strength. I am way too lazy to do all that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. indeed! I envy your zip but I'm glad you bring your hikes to us via your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are so blessed to live in a part of the country so full of wow at every turn. I'm so glad I can come here to experience some of its glory vicariously through your amazing hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My laptop is still not working and I have not been on the Web much but I read all your updates. I loved the dahlias at your market – I rarely see any here. I just looked at another blog with beautiful pictures of the sea and wished I could be near it, then I came to your blog and saw your stunning pictures of mountains and wish I could be in those paths as well. There are so many great spots to visit on our planet- it makes me ready to go on a trip again.

    I guess your back is better now but take it easy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow factor, indeed! That top photo is stunning. And I love paths like the one in the last photo. I find them very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That first photo is a real WOW!
    I have noticed the dwindling light also..I like light in the evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It certainly IS a wow factor spot, DJan...you live in such a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.