Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Waterfront hike

Roaring Whatcom Creek

Today thirteen Happy Wanderers Senior Trailblazers followed our neophyte leader, Ina, through Maritime Heritage Park to Squalicum Harbor to visit some of the wonders we have right here in our beautiful town of Bellingham. 
Located on the traditional lands of the Lummi and Nooksack People, Whatcom Creek gets its name from the word for “noisy, rumbling water” in both peoples’ languages. From 1852 to 1885, the Roeder-Peabody Mill operated at the present-day park site — and the ruins of its concrete foundations still stand on the creek bed. Maritime Heritage Park started in 1978 when its fish hatchery restored the area from a sewage treatment plant and industrial waste site.

Although I've lived here for many years, and have enjoyed walking through the park and visiting the harbor, today I learned quite a bit about the area that I didn't know. We visited the Marine Life Center, which I have passed by many times, but today we went inside for a quick tour and to see the many aquariums they have with several different fish. Signs everywhere warn not to put one's hands in the water, as there are many critters who might take a quick bite. I saw several new (to me) fish, like the potato head (wrymouth) that sat in the water, seeming to study the people, with an occasional "grin" showing its teeth. And lots of other ones that were fun to see and be glad I wasn't stick MY fingers anywhere near them.

Afterwards, we meandered, living up to our Happy Wanderers title, and then made our way back towards the Senior Center. We ended up walking around five to six miles. I left early, skipping the fish hatchery, when I got close to Holly Street where I could catch a bus that would take me close to home. I did have a great time and got to talk with several different hikers as we wandered. I confess that I found it difficult to stroll, rather than hike, and my feet got very tired. But it was worth it, and Ina had a very successful first excursion. I look forward to many more!

:-)

10 comments:

  1. I am glad (and unsurprised) you weren't tempted to put your hands in the water. Some fish have seriously sharp teeth and equally powerful jaws.
    I suspect you would find walking with me torture. I fear that my stroll would be your amble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my birding group some of them liked visiting more than birding. These groups end up being very supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded like a nice outing and I wish we could've seen the teeth on that potato head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow walking can be much more tiring than walking with purpose. Glad you had a good day of exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit the nail on the head with speed of walking. I can never go on a slow walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful to explore a part of the city you hadn’t done before. There is such fascinating marine life to discover if we take the time to look and a marine center lets us do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always be wary of toothy or even toothless grins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a different hike for you! Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be a stroller...always was. Too many things to stop and enjoy. lol! Glad you had a good time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to meander too.... feel like I could walk forever. But I felt a weird twinge in my hip the last time we walked. Odd, as although my lower back aches on occasion, don't usually have a problem with my hip or legs.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.