Thursday, September 14, 2023

Another laidback Thursday

Mt. Baker from High Divide

This is the view I suspect that the Senior Trailblazers saw of Mt. Baker today, when they went off to climb Excelsior Peak from the Damfino Lakes trailhead. I last went up on this hike back in August 2021, and I found a couple shots that show how beautiful it was then, and probably is today as well.

I truly didn't know whether I would join them on this beautiful day or not. I got up and arranged all my gear, and then went back and forth about whether to go. By the time I walked out the front door, without my car keys in my hand, I realized I was going to catch the bus to town instead and not join the hikers after all. It was a nice time at the coffee shop with John, and I solved the Wordle puzzle and decided that I could attend the Zumba class at the Senior Center before walking home from the Cornwall Rose Garden. 

Yesterday when I began my walk, a lady approached and told me that she has noticed me starting out from this place often at the same time, and we chatted a bit about getting exercise (which is what she was doing as well) as two women "of a certain age." Although the walk is much easier than what I would have done in the mountains, I did really enjoy being out there today. In the Zumba class I worked up a good sweat, and have managed to close all my exercise rings with little trouble today.

From 2021

Melanie took this picture of me on the trail, with my head covering, which is just a regular baseball cap with a snap-on piece for sun protection. Today is just as sunny as it was back then, too, and I would have had to wear something like this to keep the sun off my neck, just like I did here. It has a French Foreign Legion look to it, don't you think?

The hike is around seven miles round trip, with almost 2,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. Now that it's late in the afternoon, I'm wondering how many people went and whether they had a good time. Probably. My walk today was a mere three miles and negligible elevation, but it was quite pleasant anyway. 

It's nice to have so many different choices, and I think I did make the right one for me on this beautiful day. I'm not tired at all and feeling quite happy at the moment. Hope you have had a good day, too.

:-)

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful sight in that first photo, and I'm glad your day was still what you wanted, DJan. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have options. You can work hard on a short hike or you can take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even when you are taking it easy you are getting exercise every day! And you met a nice lady to chat with a while. A good day. :)

    ReplyDelete

  4. Echoing Rita - and your other commentators. And love your foreign legion look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you see the other woman again...maybe she is a new around town hiking partner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great that you have so many options to choose from. Do what you feel like doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look good as a French Foreign Legionnaire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up . . . I haven't been around much lately. I'm surprised you need sun protection in Washington, but good to be careful. Are you beginning to make a new friend?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.