Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Sultry summer days

Movable feast

This interesting chicken coop is in a neighbor's front yard, which I see these days when I walk to the bus on my way to the coffee shop in the mornings. You can see that the owner has recently moved the contraption forward by a few feet, after letting the chickens fertilize the yard, as well as eat all the vegetation, even as dry as the lawn is right now. I wonder if there's some beds in their coop that allow the chickens to lay eggs.

In any event, it's a clever idea that I've seen in some articles about how to get more "green" while raising poultry. I wonder if these chickens would qualify as "free range," since that would definitely be stretching the truth, in my opinion.

This morning's roses

I stopped by the Cornwall Rose Garden this morning, feeling the sun gradually change from delightful to, well, on the hot side. We have a couple of days of moderate temperatures before we move into another warm spell, with it getting really hot just about the day we have our weekly hike on Thursday. Sigh. All I can think of is that we only have a few weeks left of traditional summer, and Labor Day is right around the corner!

I have an appointment with my acupuncturist in less than an hour, so I'd better wrap this up before I head out the door and make my way to the Needle Man. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I actually look forward to it.

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Not precisely free range - but better than factory farming. I love that rose and hope your survive your heat. It is great that you are looking forward to being punctured. It obviously does you lots of good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJan, I wonder if your neighbors let the chickens out at any time. I would think they would... unless their area isn't fenced. And how many chickens do they have? Can't be too many... maybe only enough to give them some eggs for themselves. Hope you had a good acupuncture experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen chicken coops moved. The chickens are out during the day, pooping away, which fertilizes the area. They usually have feed available to them inside the coop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As advertised on radio Wilcox farms has movable chicken houses on a big scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If someone had told me when I was a child about those needles, I’d have screamed. We’ve come so far…

    ReplyDelete
  6. An attractive coop but not my idea of free range. Moving the coop though is good for the soil and the chickens.
    Sorry you are heating up again. Hope Labor Day is more true to form than this summer has been.
    Enjoy your needle man. You make him sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your needle visit went well:) Beautiful roses! The movable chicken house is a great idea...but chickens are a bit smelly:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t think chickens have been allowed where I have lived except possibly when I was very very young, I think someone MAY have had some cooped up in the backyard. But it’s a very vague memory, and I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have 3 pet chickens in high school. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DJan I always enjoy your wonderful photos and these are no exception. Love the coop and those roses are gorgeous! Hope your needlework went okay.😉♥️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear DJan, hope your session with the acupuncturist went weill. I had a problem while still in Minnesota that wasn't responding to "regular" treatment and so I saw visited an acupuncturist for several months in a nearby town--back in about 1986. All went well and I was amazed! Peace. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Long time no see in my comment box at Hootin' Anni's. Your visit was a pleasant surprise. Love those yellow roses!! And, chickens in the front yard? Any livestock in our city limits is against the law.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those roses are beautiful. We have a lot of feral chickens in my neighborhood. I did see one neighbor had a very small cage with about 8 chickens squashed in it. And then they began to get less and less. Hmmmm.... I love seeing the cute chicken house your neighbor built. That's a lot nicer.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.