Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Holiday weekend done

Fourth of July roses

Walking home after John dropped me off at the Cornwall Park Rose Garden, I saw some beautiful and rather timely roses. These do look a little like rosy fireworks, don't you think? I'm really glad this holiday is over; I am not a fan of all the noisy fireworks, some of which sounded like they were in my backyard! 

I feel so bad for the wild, as well as domestic, animals, which have no idea of what is going on, or why. It reminded me, as I lay in bed trying to ignore the booms and other loud sounds, that it must be terrible to be living in a war zone where this is happening day and night, and that the sounds are being caused not by fireworks, but by missiles. 

Last Saturday I was rear-ended in my Honda Civic. I was getting ready to merge with traffic onto a busy street when boom! I am hit from behind. It was hard enough to cause an instantaneous reaction in my bowels, and suddenly I needed to get to Melanie's house, fast! It wasn't far, so instead of stopping, I drove quickly to her house, just a few minutes away. After making quick use of her bathroom, I told her what had happened, and she said to call the police right away, since I left the scene of an accident. Fortunately, the driver had already called to report the incident. He and I have had a few conversations since. All of my tail lights and signals are operative, so on Thursday I am getting it fixed. I'm not sure whether or not the young man has insurance. If he does, he will pay it; otherwise I will. I have a fairly hefty deductible before insurance pays anything, and I think this damage won't fall into that category. What do you think? The only damage is to the bumper.

You should see his car

In any event, I am feeling pretty good right now, since I just left my massage practitioner's office and am laid-back and relaxed and enjoying our sunny weather, which has climbed all the way into the low seventies (71°F) by mid-afternoon. I have heard it said before that here in the PNW, summer starts on July 5th. This year, it looks like they might be right!

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Ouch on the fender bender. I am glad that neither of you were hurt - the damage to the cars is an inconvenience rather than a tragedy.
    I much prefer rosey fireworks to those that go bang. And yes to the concern they cause birds and animals and the aching heart for those in the thick of war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those roses are spectacular. I saw some on another blog this week. I haven’t seen any here yet.

    Glad the accident wasn’t any worse than it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually, and I emphasize *usually*, when hit from behind, the driver of the vehicle behind you is considered the responsible party. He might have gotten a citation if you had stayed at the scene and reported the accident to the Police. The law usually considers the driver behind to be following too closely and not allowing proper room to stop. Sure glad you were not hurt. You may be surprised to find out how much it will cost to get your car repaired, so good thing you have insurance, even if it has a high deductible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I hate car accidents. The damage doesn't look extensive so you can feel relieved. Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a small but serious crunch there, wow. Very sorry you got rear-ended DJan, but I keep thinking it could've been so much worse with whiplash & the like. Your needing the bathroom right away wasn't funny, but that's not something you hear everyday! Anyway, I too thought of Ukraine with all the booming over the last 3 days--at least ours was noise pollution for the most part and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accidents are very stressful . I hope it can be repaired or that it's not too bad and can be left as is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Make sure the fender that pushed the quarter panel forward isn't gouging the tire. The repair guys may need to realign the trunk lid, and of course, push that quarter panel section back into place. Hope you can get the insurance name of the guy who hit it. If the quarter panel stays apart from the tail light assembly, you'll most likely get rain (snow?) into it, causing the light to not work. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you are ok then that's all that matters. The car can be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were very nice to the young man - who probably felt terrible for his inattention. He is lucky you let him off the hook and I sure hope he learns to drive better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in the country so what fireworks I hear are neighbors. Callie hates any loud noises and I worry that the wild animals don't fair any better.
    Ouch with the accident! So pleased that neither of you were hurt. Glad you are intouch with the young man. Sadly even a bump like that will astound you at the repair cost so hopefully the insurance will cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear DJan, the bowel reaction you shared is exactly what I felt when I had an accident. No bathroom was near and I "held it" for over a half hour and felt wiped out by the time I was able to get home.

    So sorry you had to go through this, but glad also that you are fine and that you continue always to find some good in everything that happens.

    Here the temp is 98 degrees today with a heat index of 106. So I have the shades drawn and the AC on. The cats find shady places in the house to sleep! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I still haven't figured out how to leave comments that give my name. The "anonymous" above is from Dee Ready.

      Delete
  12. That bodywork is going to cost a pretty penny. You don't know the damage that was done until they take off the bumper. I backed into a fence at school during my final week of teaching. It was my fault so I did have to pay the deductible, but that was only $800 of the bill which was over $2000. If the young man who hit you was at fault, his insurance should pay the whole bill. If you have really good insurance, they will deal with the young man and his insurance. That's what I like about AAA. They do the heavy lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are okay! You never can tell about car repairs. They will probably replace the whole bumper and maybe the panel or the trunk...;(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like a massage to make you feel better about life's bumps and bruises. Glad you weren't really hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Kay of Musings) I love rose gardens. I’m so glad you got to enjoy them. And ouch about the back of your car. It’s good the fellow reported it because I think that’s important for your insurance company. I’ve heard that if you get rear ended, it’s the fault of the person who hit you. I hope you don’t have to pay much or at all.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.