Thursday, June 23, 2022

Testing the limits of my strength

Service road in dappled sun

Today I asked Melanie to hike with me up to Burnout Point along the South Lost Lake trail. It is longer and harder than I've been available to do for quite awhile, but  now that I am home after hiking eight miles and going up and down 2,100 feet of elevation, it makes me happy to say I not only did it, I only grumbled about my sore feet for a few minutes towards the end of the day.

The first two miles of the trail go up the Fragrance Lake service road before we turn off to head to our destination on the Lost Lake trail. Once we turned off the road, we had a very nice trail to follow, instead of the road.

South Lost Lake trail

I have never been on this trail when it was so completely taken over by foliage. Although the trail itself is clear, the vegetation on both sides was almost as tall as me. Flowers, bees, ferns, and myriad plants were enjoying the sunshine as much as we were! The stinging nettles were at times in danger of being within distance close enough to touch, which means that I had to be very careful not to be in their way. At one point I did brush against one, and that spot on my pinkie will be irritated for hours before it stops.

Looking out at the San Juans

We split off from the Lost Lake trail and headed off for our visit to the two spots we were calling our destination, first a look at the San Juan islands and Samish Bay. I couldn't get a very good picture because of the incredible growth of vegetation that blocked our view. It didn't matter, though, it was still a wonderful sight. And then we headed off another half-mile to view what is known as Burnout Point.

Mt. Baker is behind those clouds

Once again, we were thwarted from the full view, this time by clouds that hid our usual magnificent scene of Mt. Baker. No matter, we stopped for a nice lunch and then headed back down the way we had come.

Waterfall

Passing by our favorite waterfall, which today was nowhere near as full as we've seen it before, in the middle the sun lit up a segment of it that was so pretty; my camera didn't do it justice, but I had to include it anyway.

All in all, it was a very successful Thursday hike, and now that I know I can actually hike that far and that high once again, we'll be heading to some harder and more challenging places in the near future. I'm wiggling my bare toes in delight. Thanks, Mel, for challenging me to keep up my distance and strength!

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I know this is important to you. I know about losing the ability to do things we once did easily. Pace yourself, listen to your body, but go have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo of the San Juan Islands, man what breathtaking views! Eight miles sounds like torture, but I suppose you see it as heavenly torture, DJan. Well, this has certainly encouraged me to spend a little longer on the treadmill tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. I will be interested to see what challenges you take on next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Musings (Kay): You certainly had a beautiful day to take photos but 8 miles going up and down. Wow! Ouch on the stinging nettles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them. Now I’m curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. that was quite a test of your strength and stamina. Rewarded by all that luscious foliage and the sounds of nature no wonder you felt good afterwards. I know what you mean about those nettles. i am nursing a few stings on my arm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds so challenging but you did it! Wow. Good for you. What a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you did so well on this hike. I love that waterfall. Very pretty! Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on extending your limits and that there were no real problems. How nice to have different views to see when hiking.
    Had to smile about the nettles. I was introduced to them years ago. My goats were eating around a plant, so I said," what is wrong with these." As I grabbed a handful in an attempt to hand feed them to the goats. I quickly learned goats were smarter than me. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, DJan! (But don't push yourself too far). Love the pics of the South Lost Lake Trail and the Waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news! Glad you can handle more and more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! We should all challenge ourselves at times -- and so great for you to do it when you can view such wonderful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, very nice photos … they just turned out wonderfully! Nice to see you going the distance here. Your waterfall photo is awesome! Looking forward to Eye on the Edge tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Beautiful day, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go! Eight miles is a good distance!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.