Monday, October 25, 2021

Checking it twice

Lily and me

A passerby took this photo of Lily and me at Boulevard Park this morning, a blustery day but with very mild temperatures, with plenty more wind to come during the rest of the day. I did check twice before I started this post, since after yesterday's fiasco on my other blog, I wanted to make sure I'm on the right one. I spent an entire hour (which is my usual time) writing yesterday's post, but then I accidentally posted it here. When I realized my mistake, I deleted it immediately and intended to post it on the correct blog. It was right there on my screen after I deleted it, but when I navigated over to this place and tried to reinsert it, the text was gone! Gone for good, it seems. 

I have been admonished to remember to copy and paste if I were to make such an error next time. At first I thought about starting over, but it would have messed up the entire rest of my morning, so I simply apologized and posted only the picture and a quick mea culpa

It wasn't a wonderful post, but I talked about the weather (rainy and windy) and my burgeoning meditation practice and what I've learned so far. I guess mindfulness doesn't extend to most of my mental processes quite yet. But I didn't get all that upset or perturbed, and I credit my calmness to the practice I've begun of following my breath. And I notice that I am making quite a bit of effort to work it into my morning routine, because it's begun to matter that I find a way to quietly sit for a bit.

While I walked to the bus this morning to take me downtown to the coffee shop, I pondered how much my life is going to change after Wednesday, which is the last day that my friend John will be there for at least a month. He is having his right shoulder rebuilt on Thursday, and he won't be able to drive until he can put on his seat belt, among other things. He had the left shoulder done last year, and it's really improved his mobility, but he uses his right arm and hand to a much greater degree than his left. He won't be able to move it backwards or out to the side for some time. He will be staying with his daughter who lives quite a bit north of us. I'll miss him, that's for sure. 

I'll take the change in my daily routine as an excuse to explore some new bus routes that will add some variety to my walks. Not that I couldn't do that any time, but I have noticed that I am a creature of habit and don't make changes all that easily. But just like the pandemic has disrupted other aspects of my routine, this change can be one that I can use to make my days more interesting.

Cornwall Park roses

Until I started asking John to drop me off at the Cornwall Park Rose Garden to walk back home, I had never visited it. Now I can't imagine not seeing these beauties on a regular basis. Even at this time of the year, there are roses, and I like to take the time to stop and smell them. And capture them like in this picture.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. The roses are a beautiful colour. Although I hope things will be the same as before I don't think my life will be the same. I can't see myself doing much travel abroad anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the wonderful things about this corner of the world where we live is that we got to have roses practically into winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those roses are so beautiful. Please continue to photograph them for as long as they bloom. Sometimes, you mess up but meditation does ameliorate the situation somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a creature of habit. Sometimes well nigh set in stone. I really like your focus on finding the positives in the forthcoming change, and must try and adopt it. I wish John well with his surgery too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful colour on those roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice picture of the two of you in matching parkas! Reminds me of sherbet ice cream.

    Changes will happen no matter what and I look forward to your new routines and learnings in your posts, as well as your old routines and trails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the two pink ladies!! Sweet.
    The rose blossoms are so pretty.
    You are doing just fine ...I agree. It's best to not fret over the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color of those roses! I sometimes think about starting another blog--but am not sure I could keep it up. I would undoubtedly get confused between the two as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, didn't you cuss just a little bit when that blog disappeared? Things disappear on me for no obvious reason and I have to muddle through in repair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry John is going to be out of commission for a month but very happy that his daughter will be taking care of him. Now you just need to find an interesting if different path while he heals. Enjoy the next two days with your friend John and hope the surgery and recovery goes smoothly for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was experiencing some deja vu when reading about your friend John & his shoulder, until you wrote about his left one a year ago. I very much hope he has a speedy recovery. That's a nice picture of you & your friend Lily at the top, I wonder how tall she is? I always assumed you were tall yourself, but this changes everything :^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My best to John! Hopefully he will be back as good as new in a month! I hope the roses keep blooming for you! They are ever so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've mad that same mistake with my two blog several times. So I get made at myself which doesn't help a thing......ray

    ReplyDelete
  14. You beautiful ladies look like you're having a great time. I have also made some terrible mistakes erasing something that took time to write. I wish I could be as calm as you. Ahhh... but looking at those roses would definitely help me regain my equanimity.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.