Thursday, August 5, 2021

Damfino Lakes 2021

My hiking cohorts: Melanie, Mike, Kirk, Sue

I won't lie: I was afraid I might not be able to complete this hike today, my first one back since the sprained ankle a month ago. Not only was I insecure about the state of my ankle, I was also worried about being able to tolerate the heat. When we first considered doing this hike, it was supposed to be partly cloudy and not too awfully hot. But it was full, direct sun for much of the day, and the possibility of rain has dropped precipitously.

Four of the hikers on the trail

At first the group suggested that I lead, since I am the least strong, and I could set the pace. I really don't like doing that, because I know I am holding them up. But we set out for Excelsior Pass, following the trail past two very small lakes and upwards towards the pass. I no longer had to lead. Much of the first part of the hike is in trees and it was very delightful, other than the flies, which weren't bad unless you stopped for a few minutes. Then they swarmed and were pretty much very annoying. A slight breeze would make them disperse, as long as we kept moving.

The others far ahead, with our destination in view

Melanie stayed with me while the others took off for the pass, which is visible on the right-hand side of the picture. She was perfectly able to match their pace, but I wasn't and she didn't want to leave me. It's pretty miserable not feeling like I could keep up, but at least I was there and continuing to move forward.

Creek is almost dry, but still lots of flowers

Although it's hard to see in this picture, there were plenty of lupines, valerian, monkey flowers, and bistort, even though we are in a prolonged period without any rain. That might end tomorrow, meaning we would tie the longest period without measurable rain, but the prospects of precipitation keep going down as time passes.

The pass, our lunch spot, and Mt. Baker

After lunch, the five others decided to hike up to Excelsior Peak, but I stayed behind because I was needing to conserve my energy. They headed up the High Divide trail until they met the trail heading directly to the top of the peak. I walked down the trail a ways but kept trying to find some place that would give me some shade as well as a little breeze to lessen the bugs.

Mt. Baker and a few clouds

I saw this wonderful view of Mt. Baker while on the High Divide trail, and you might notice that the clouds are beginning to make an appearance. Not enough to satisfy me, but they are still pretty. At one point I saw them on top, and they waved to me, although I didn't know for sure it was them until they returned.

Heading back down

And then we returned the way we had come, although instead of going uphill, it was downhill, but still very sunny and warm. My ankle did just fine, although I sure do wonder how I would have navigated this without my trekking poles.

New sign and a happy hiker

On the way back down, Melanie noticed this brand-new sign delineating the wilderness boundary. She asked for a picture and I rather like this one, showing my headgear and a chaste smile, belying the actual way I was feeling: tired, sore, and wishing I was already home.

Damfino Lake

We passed by the lakes again on our way back. There are two of these small little ponds, with a name that apparently comes from someone having asked what their names are, and a wag answered "Damn if I know." It might or might not be true, but they are definitely nice to look at. 

And then we were back at the cars and headed back home, with a good day of around seven miles under our belts, and another adventure behind us. I was glad that I made it without further injury.

:-)

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it too. You showed us lots of great photos. You also strengthen your ankle with some exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for a good hike! Sounds like a patient bunch especially Mel! Your hiking hat is quite cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That view of Mt. Baker is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my role model, DJan. I’m so happy for you that you had a good, SAFE hike. I’m always amazed all you’re able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad (and impressed) that you are hiking again. You are one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is good! Back in the hiking mode.

    That photo ... your lunch spot...looks like a scene right out of The Sound of Music

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing so well compared to most, including me for darn sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did well to even attempt such a trek. It is a beautiful one in the shadow of Mt. Baker. Well done, Jan! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are intrepid that is for sure. I love that name for the lake. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your day went with no damage to the ankle. Way to go. Your spunk is inspirational and Mel is really a true friend.
    Thanks for the explanation on the source of the name of the lake. That is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got out and made it! Great story about the lake name. Love it!

    My kids are all in Seattle visiting their sister, along with my little grandson. They are enjoying themselves but nobody is hiking. Just blueberry picking, seeing lavender fields, and chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a beautiful hike! Glad your ankle is healing and you were able to successfully make the hike. Always a challenge to find other hikers you are compatible with. And yes, a crummy feeling to be the weak link and hold up others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, those high mountain meadows make we wish I could still achieve some meadow walking at Mt Rainier. I love them so.
    I'm glad you took care of yourself and still had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy that you got to hike in the mountains & that your ankle held up❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope a glass of wine and a comfortable arm chair awaited you at home...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly look like a happy hiker to me! Well done, even if you did have to take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad the hike worked out! You look very content. :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.