Monday, March 1, 2021

March memories

Golden crocus among the snowdrops

Boy, those golden crocuses sure looked a lot more brilliant when I leaned over to photograph them. I also noticed a few snowdrops mixed in, and figured that it would be a good enough shot to display on my blog. At least there are burgeoning spring flowers, and these snowdrops won't melt.

When I noticed that it's the first of the month again, and the first of March to boot, it brought back a long-ago memory of what this day once meant to me: it is the anniversary of my first marriage, in 1961. Wow, I thought to myself, it's been a half century since then! Are you noticing that I seem to have misplaced a decade? Yes, it's been sixty years!

My first husband, Derald, was also the father of my two sons. Now all three of them are gone, and here I am, writing a post sixty years after that distant day, with only memories (and a few pictures) left. If I ever need a reminder of how old I have gotten, all I have to do is dust off my treasure box of recollections. Or, failing that, count the aches and pains that visit me every day.

In spite of all that, I am more than grateful for what my current treasure box contains: a wonderful place to live, a sweet husband who cherishes our relationship, enough physical ability to get outside into the forests and wild places that surround me, and friends and family members who brighten my days.

March 1, 1961

:-)

19 comments:

  1. You sure don't look like you would have a 60th wedding anniversary! Great to look back, and even better to be grateful for what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the aches and pains are more immediate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixty years sounds like a long time for such a young person, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's ok to wish you a happy anniversary, certainly a happy day filled with some pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have met a huge challenge and still found happiness in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Honolulu Auntie, DJan. You truly don’t look like you would have been celebrating 60 years since your 1st marriage. I’m in awe of your resilience in coping with so many tragedies. And I wish I were in as good a shape as you are. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kay DJan, I'm in awe as well. I'm sure you never envisioned the turns your life would take, especially the losses, but you never retreated. Your story is an inspiring one and I'm very glad I know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just where DO the years go?
    And a big hooray for gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always admired your positivity and resilience. You should feel so proud of yourself for being able to still take so much joy from life despite the cards you were dealt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, tho sadness & tragedies of decades ago, I really appreciate your sharing a bit of your personal life with us. Enlarging, I see you have the same beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time has been kind to you in some ways at least. In other ways, I am sure there has been much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sixty years have passed filled with both joy and pain and the scars don't seem to show on you. You carry them well. Hope you remembered the really good days in those 60 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a nice photo of your wedding. It's sad that your 2 sons are gone. What might have been.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time goes by so quickly. I find the sad times seem less sad over the decades and the happy times seem happier. Nothing ever leaves you. It all becomes a part of you. You are truly blessed and loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely old photo to go with your memories of that day.
    Hope you are getting that first shot today! We have to concentrate on today and the future and whatever that may bring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to have those memories, though, isn't it? Tomorrow would be my dad's 110th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love old pictures... and the memories they bring. My computers and my phones are loaded down with them. DH keeps telling me to save them somewhere, but I like having them right there to look at whenever I want. Thanks for sharing, DJan.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.