Monday, February 22, 2021

Rain, sun, and more

Roaring waterfall

Last Thursday we saw this lovely waterfall, which is fuller than usual, thanks to all the rain we've been having. That, combined with a few days of sunshine, has made our hikes lately very satisfying. I noticed that I have taken a picture of this waterfall every time I've seen it. You can see why; it's so pretty.

It sure is beginning to feel like spring cannot be far away, with more and more light every day, and little shoots coming out of the ground. Today I noticed that primroses and other early spring flowers are on display outside my local grocery store, adding to the feeling of change in the air. It is almost March, after all. And we will change our clocks here in the US in just a few more weeks, moving to Daylight Saving Time (March 14). We'll "spring ahead."

As I climbed the steps to my apartment this morning, after having gone on the bus to the coffee shop to join John in a cup of coffee (not literally), I have realized it's time to start wearing two masks when on the bus and when shopping in grocery stores that allow too many people inside. Although I lost my recent appointment to get a Covid shot, there are plenty of options beginning to open up here in Bellingham. I think I have an appointment for a shot next week in Ferndale, if they receive their doses, and by mid-March it looks like we will have a mass vaccination place open up just a few blocks away. They are hedging their bets until they learn whether they will receive enough vaccine doses, which seem to be in short supply everywhere right now.

Soon. One way or another this elderly citizen should be getting her first jab. We don't get to choose which vaccine we will receive, but if I had my druthers, I think I'd choose Pfizer, since it seems to gain immunity more quickly. But I'll take whatever I am offered! How about you? Would you choose one over another?

:-)

19 comments:

  1. That waterfall is beautiful! As for masks, I've wearing two for sometime now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just glad to get any vaccine. I had the Astra zeneka and I'm not sure there is much difference in protection. The waterfall looks beautiful. I imagine it sounded good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take photos of the waterfall each and every time I went past it as well.
    Our vaccination program has only just begun, and I will take anything I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beggar's can't be choosers ... I'll take whatever I can get! Good luck with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin who has a Doctorate in Research Science said Moderna if you have a choice, we contacted him early on and got his 2 cents. I hope you get yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be happy for either right now. Eighty year olds + are having their turns this week. Maybe in the next two months for us. Vaccine supply is an issue here too.

    The increasing daylight and the strength of the sun are sure signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were originally scheduled for the Moderna, but when our appointment was changed due to a lack of a shipment for the original location, we were given the Pfizer instead. We will hopefully get our second dose on Saturday.. New information coming up now says one dose of Pfizer is 85% effective. I just hope the backlog of supply gets delivered so more eligible people can get vaccinated soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The waterfall reminds me of one I've seen here before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That date was a happy surprise, I didn't know we sprung ahead only 20 days from now :^) (Of course, we won't be getting spring temps in Pittsburgh quite that early but we'll take what we can get...) I hope that vaccine comes real soon, DJan. PS Could you pose by that waterfall the next time you see it? I'm just curious to see it in the right context.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's warmed up here after a couple of weeks of minus 30's. Some day we might get a vaccination. I think they gave us hope that they couldn't or shouldn't have given.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no choice in the matter. Whatever they could get ahold of is what we got. Moderna was fine with me. I hope you both can get yours soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Either of the two would be fine with me and even the others if that's what it comes to.

    Our daytime temps are nudging above freezing lately. While we are far from spring flowers, it is still a hopeful sign.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh I had forgotten about the time change also. Months just seem to mash together these days.
    I got the Moderna and was just grateful for whatever. Hope you get yours sooooon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Pfizer for me, but Johnson and Johnson does not seem to be as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a fan of the time changes and wish they would get rid of them. Bah, humbug. If I had a choice, I would prefer the Pfizer, but would love the Moderna too. I want the two shot regime when I finally can get vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear DJan, I got my first shot this past Monday. It was Moderna (I think). I was ready to take whatever was offered because Elisa would like me to come visit and I, too, would so like to see her. My second shot is scheduled for March 23. So hopefully, sometime after that I can fly Delta out to Idaho--I'll wear two masks--and be with her and Mike and the children. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a serene picture DJan, you are lucky to see all of those waterfalls along your hiking trails.
    My husband got the Moderna vaccination today, so far no problems, thankfully.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was actually hoping for Moderna because I thought it was more effective at one time. I'm glad I got the Pfizer now. Fingers crossed I get that second shot as scheduled. It's kind of goofy at Tripler hospital right now. I hope they have their act together.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.