Monday, January 25, 2021

Frosty days and nights

Frosty flowers

On Saturday, four of us ladies walked around in full sunshine but bundled up against the cold temperatures. We usually warm up more than we have been during recent sunny days, but what's a little of the white stuff (snow and/or frost) when the sun is shining and it's the middle of January? There are plenty of other places in the country that are much whiter and much colder. I'll take our climate, happily.

More frosty flowers

I woke this morning with the the memory of an old Cat Stevens song in my head. Do you remember "Oh Very Young"? It was released in 1974, so some of you might not remember it because you weren't born yet. Now why that song kept coming into my mind, a phrase at a time, is curious. I haven't heard it for years now, but of course I had to online to read and remember more. Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam and recanted all his old songs, as I remember. But many of his songs are precious to us oldsters. 

I didn't remember that his song was an ode to Buddy Holly. Boy you can sure get an education by googling a name or a phrase, can't you? Here's the part that emerged for me, and is still rolling around in reminiscence. 

Oh very young What will you leave us this time
You're only dancing on this earth for a short while
And though your dreams may toss and turn you now
They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans
Denim Blue fading up to the sky
And though you want him to last forever
You know he never will
And the patches make the goodbye harder still

Perhaps it was listening to Amanda Gorman reciting that amazing poem at Biden's inauguration and thinking about what the new generation is teaching us. I really don't know, but now I can't stop hearing that song!

:-)

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for those refreshing cool images - and for the reminder of a song I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too now that you mentioned it. Lol. Always loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old enough to remember that song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots. That song was before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed that song along the way. I was raising infants then and otherwise occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no.... Now you've got that song like an earworm in my head. I really loved Cat Stevens and have him on my play list.

    How neat to see frost over everything. It's a downpour over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that song. That was the year my second child was born. We listened to a lot of music in those days. We are frosty as well, with snow this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still like Cat Stephens and listen to him on You Tube. Now not only was I around for this song, I was getting pretty old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like Motown and hard rock more than the ballads. I didn't know about Cat Stephens changing his name and all. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed listening to Cat Stevens. Funny how these songs just pop unexpectedly into our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get a dong in my mind like this did for you.

    Love the frosted (sugar coated) blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SONG (not dong! That is suggestive, now, isn't it?)

      Delete
  12. I don't remember that song, but I have never kept in touch much with pop music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Cat Stevens but somehow missed this song. Listening to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was the year my son was born. I loved Cat Stevens!
    I didn't know that song had anything to do with Buddy Holly!
    In this new world I just told Google to play it for me and I will listen to Cat songs for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember that song too. Googled it so I could hear it again. Reminds me of good times, but busy... (my kids were 6,4,and 1 at the time).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always associate Cat Stevens with the song Morning Has Broken
    That was 1971 we had friends that got married the next year and that was the song at their wedding...they have since divorced.
    I didn't know he changed his name either.
    Yes I recall that song now that I went to listen to it! Thanks for the memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. DJan, I always enjoy your pictures so much, even if those poor flowers are frosted over--in my neck of the woods, that's a strange sight. Also enjoyed that Cat Stevens song, I wasn't familiar with it but just the mention of his name brings "Morning has broken" to mind with that great piano arrangement. My favorite music will always be late 60s/early 70s. (Then disco came along and messed everything up!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I listened to a lot of Christmas songs in December. Some of them turned into horrilbe earworms. But, I've recovered now!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.