Monday, September 7, 2020

Labor Day 2020

Kaffeeklatsch Avellino
During this pandemic and the most unusual summer season of my almost eight decades of life, this particular spot outside my coffee shop has become somewhat famous. John and I (the two oldsters on the right) have been doing this ever since the pandemic made it impossible to hang out inside. Other than when we've had a bit of rain (when we sit inside the cab of his truck), we've hauled out our lawn chairs and enjoyed conversation, scintillating and otherwise. The definition of the word kaffeeklatsch is as follows:
kaf·fee·klatsch/ˈkafāˌklaCH/
(noun) An informal social gathering at which coffee is served. Talking or gossip at an informal gathering where coffee is served.
Yep, that's us, all right. Our gossip is often of the political kind, or about the latest movies or books we've read and want to share with each other. It's been a really wonderful morning interlude for me during the shutdown. I don't know when we might actually be able to be inside again, but we now have dozens of people who drive by us and wave, apparently happy to see us still there.

When the weather changes, I don't know what we'll do. Perhaps drill some bolts into the trees and put a tarp over the area? Or just see what comes into being from the remnants of the fall season? In any event, I have been enjoying the time spent outdoors talking with friends who sometimes join us. Of course, they have to bring their own chairs, and the seating is limited. But the conversation is always lively.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. Looks like weather wise you will be comfortable at least into the middle of September. It's fun that you are attracting a following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I could join your kaffeeklatch. Consider me waving from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do love your am coffee outing.Kafteklarsch often includes fresh baked cake and a generous serving of whipped cream and is typically a 4pm event at many cafes in German and Austrian towns. Happy for you as you get to have friends around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like you two have become fixtures that people can count on as maybe a bit of normal. Now it seems others want to share a slice of that good life too. Keep waving and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my kaffeklatsch with numerous friends, right now outside, and later in our respective cars, as long as it's not raining. There is something about sipping coffee that is very conducive to conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you guys! My brothers visit us outdoors...not sure what we will do when winter comes sit in a snowbank I guess:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you can safely get out doing what you're doing. There comes a time when we have to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. It will be interesting to see how long you can continue in the open air. Maybe golf umbrellas would be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it that passers-by greet y'all with a howdy-do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have learned new things about words today. It is Kaffeeklatsch and not coffee clatch.

    I also learned that it is rigmarole and not rigAmarole.

    Better late than never, eh?

    I should know this by now, but is John your partner or another friend?

    ReplyDelete
  11. People will find a way to do what is important! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like such a great group!
    Wondering, also, what will happen when the weather changes. I has been cold here (30s--freeze warnings) so sitting outside would not be pleasant or last long. I hope they can figure something out with masks, etc, so you can meet inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. DJan, I love your kaf·fee·klatsch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scintillating conversation with friends can't be beat. Enjoy the weather and the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful weather and good friends! Can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.