Thursday, July 23, 2020

Fun, although without sun

Gate at beginning of Fragrance Lake trail
Today my friend Melanie and I went to Fragrance Lake instead of the long drive south we intended, because somehow the weather turned out to be less than stellar. At first we expected rain, but that changed quickly, although there were low clouds and no sun, meaning that it made more sense to stay close to home. Maybe we can get that hike in next week, but for today, we chose an old favorite, Fragrance Lake.
Bellingham Bay from the viewpoint
We took a short side trip to the viewpoint of the bay, since we knew this would not be a long hike and wanted to add some distance. The clouds reminded me of the wings of doves, soft grey and really quite lovely.
Pretty Indian Pipe
We didn't see many flowers, but Melanie had seen this plant on her last trip up into the area. I told her I had heard it called "ghost pipe," and it's actually quite an amazing plant. I found this information on the internet:
Monotropa uniflora, also known as ghost plant (or ghost pipe), Indian pipe or corpse plant, is an herbaceous perennial plant native to temperate regions of Asia, North America and northern South America, but with large gaps between areas. The plant is sometimes completely waxy white, but often has black flecks or pale pink coloration.
The thing that makes it so interesting is that it contains no chlorophyll, instead getting its energy from photosynthetic trees. I also learned from that link (above) that it has medicinal properties, having been used as a medicine that inhibits anxiety. Here's a closeup of the flower:
Monotropa uniflora
Also while on our way to the lake, we saw numerous beautiful ancient cedar trees. I asked Mel to take a picture of this one with me in it, so you can see the size of this beautiful old tree.
Two ancient artifacts
And then we headed to Fragrance Lake. As you can see here, there was little breeze, and the cool air made it seem very unlike midsummer. Not that I was complaining.
Fragrance Lake
We watched a young man walk out on that limb, all the way to the end. Although he was careful not to slip, he took his cell phone out of his pocket and placed it out of harm's way, just in case he might be taking a quick dip in the water.

We went back along the service road instead of the trail, giving us a nice six-mile loop. By the time we reached the trailhead, we were both happy to have been out and about, and pleasantly tired. but not tired out. It was a lovely time outdoors, and I realize how important it is to my mental health to enjoy the forest and turn my attention to the natural world. Although lately my Thursday hikes are mostly nearby and easy, it doesn't make them any less important to maintaining my equilibrium during these trying times.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. I loved it all! That ghost plant is all new to me. And pretty in its own way
    Beautiful lake, huge tree. A wonderful hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting plant... and I like the name, Ghost plant, it fits.
    Good pic of you and the cypress tree also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information about the ghost plant. In the absence of chlorophyll I wonder where it gets its colour. Interesting that it was used for anxiety - a disorder I thought was of our times...
    And what a lovely walk you had - and took us on. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what good fortune you had to find Indian Pipe. This forest orchid is so special. It has been a long time since I have had the privilege to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a different looking flower...I am so glad you got to get out and about! You are happier when you can hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice walk. But I'm not so sure about that corpse plant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the beach today and swam in the ocean for a few strokes - something I haven't done for decades. My 100 year old artist friend loves to swim in the ocean and so we went together. It was wonderful! Very different from hiking in the wilderness, but also good for the soul and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, getting out consistently, and doing something good for your mental and physical well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting out in nature is the best medicine. It kept us going during the isolation period here. The city encouraged people onto the boardwalk and people used it a lot. It is possible to stay socially distanced from others there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all these pictures. That plant, WOW. That tree, WOW. These are things I like to find when out & about. Nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good walk anyplace is beneficial. at these times we have to get out when we can. You've developed a good routine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting pink plant. Medicinal value, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have never seen that ghost plant.
    Love the pic of you by the cedar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why that is a favorite place to walk. I liked that you were tired but not tired out. That sounds like a goal.
    That plant might be useful now days for anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe that daisy can hold up that big, fat slug. (below) Hopefully the sun comes out for you soon. Like you, I'm never happier than when out walking in nature. I just don't walk so far or high.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pix of the Indian Pipe, a fascinating plant I've only seen a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’ve never heard of the Indian pipe plant. It’s really quite pretty. You’re so lucky to be able to walk In the beautiful outdoors with a friend. It’s been such a long time since I’ve been able to spend time with friends.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.