Monday, June 1, 2020

Little pleasures

A repurposed little library
The owners of this home used to have a little lending library outside on their front lawn. With the circumstances of our lives being what they are, they changed it to a place where people can take and/or leave items that people might need during a time when they are out of a job and can't afford to buy food for their pets, and more. I especially like that they are offering masks in their cupboard.

It makes me happy to see people helping neighbors in my little community. At this time in our history, it's awfully hard to find something to be happy about. With the ongoing pandemic (and our continuing lockdown), along with the awful events of the past week with enormously large protests in every large city (with no social distancing), I am worried about what our immediate future holds. However, it does no good to concentrate on such things; I need to find positive things to focus on. Hence, the little kitchen cupboard on the street.
What a flower!
At this moment in time, myriad rhododendrons are in bloom. This is a very different one, but I do think it's a rhodie. I walk by it on my daily walks and yesterday I had to take a picture to remember its unusual beauty. Now that it's June, just about every flower around is deciding to show off its gorgeous blooms. It makes me very happy, being able to enjoy the sunshine, which has returned after a couple of very wet days. I've turned off the TV and the incessant noise emanating from the talking heads. It's easier and less redundant to keep up to date reading the news on my laptop.

And there are plenty of uplifting movies and series to lose myself in, should I be so inclined. Just another one of the little pleasures I have available to enjoy. What are you finding to keep your spirits up these days?
:-)

20 comments:

  1. Wellllll, today was a bummer. Rain, rain, and MORE rain. Flooded streets (no driving, no walking) then, to top it off a soon to be tropical storm (#3 already) going to form in the gulf. So, lately what makes me happy us having a dry home and good health. Your flower is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that Rhodie. It's name is Sappho.
    Keeping up our spirits means keeping busy. We have been working on a project in the garage, Tom keeps very busy working in the garden, and I do what I can. We read, walk when I can, and watch television, but we need new programming. We have Netflix, but not everything there is wonderful. I am looking for recommendations. I plan meals and cook, and have started on a weight loss program, so cooking requires more thought now. Once in awhile we drive somewhere for a change of scenery. We may soon be able to start garden touring soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for that library space. The blooms are gorgeous!

    Gardening here keeps us busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen those little lending boxes in Orlando too, usually with books. But I love the idea of leaving other items that people might need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most people are good and helpful, but we tend to lose it on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are having great turmoil right now. we didn't need either one if these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the library space and the rhodie.
    I am turning off the news and turning to nature. As I so often do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Linda ID'd that beautiful flower. What a neat idea on the give/take box. It does help to see the good in people right now. We have finally gotten some rain free days. Hope to get in much needed mowing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the changes n the little libraries. I read that they are doing that all over the place. So sweet and kind!

    I planted flowers and putter about. Staying away from the news most of the day helps me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a few of these little street libraries around our town, too, but sadly they are all closed for fear of spreading the virus. Maybe they can reopen when we go to "yellow" or "green."

    ReplyDelete
  11. The worst aspect of the TV is the noise from speakers. I watch the News with the sound muted, while David uses headphones. I can get the gist of the news by watching instead of listening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of everything that closed I missed our library the most! They are now offering "curb side service" twice a week if you order on line. I ran out of books in the meantime and oh boy! I read read read for enjoyment. Our library has a bench outside that you can leave things that other people would want

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, DJan. I needed something to make me smile a little with all that's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That rhody is fabulous, and I always stop at a Little Free Library when I walk my dog Bounce. Today my spirits were lifted when I attended a birthday party for a friend via Zoom. It had a joy all its own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Rhododendron reminds me of the incredible Rododendron at Kew Gardens in London. Getting outside helps me most.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Future travel dreams keep me going. Plus, I finished my second novel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Walks, playing Wii games , an occasional drive out of the city as we live at city limits and some movie at home. We plat Wheel of Fortune during dinner prep.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I stay busy! If I watch the news I get sleepy. That is one beauty of a flower!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.