Thursday, July 4, 2019

Happy Independence Day, America

Small group this morning
Since my usual Thursday hiking group took the holiday off, I went on a six-mile walk with my Saturday walking group. We'll still get together on Saturday, but it's Cindy's habit to get in a nice walk on this holiday. It was overcast, making it just about perfect walking weather, and we went from the Village Green in Fairhaven to Arroyo Park. We went out for an hour, and then turned around and came back. Afterward, we stopped in at a coffee shop and got coffee and a treat.

Just a lovely "forest bath" with some of my favorite friends. According to some research, walking in a forest is much better for you than walking in the city. From that link:
One study published in 2011 compared the effects of walking in the city to taking a forest walk. Both activities required the same amount of physical activity, but researchers found that the forest environment led to more significant reductions in blood pressure and certain stress hormones.
Of course, this group doesn't lollygag on the trail, but sets a brisk pace. However, it's certainly pleasant and does lower one's blood pressure, just being surrounded by all that green, birds singing, and everything in bloom. When I came home, I went out to the garden to get myself a snack.
Ah, summer
 There are so many ripe raspberries that I just cannot keep up. I took some, once again, to my neighbor so she could enjoy them, too. It's a lovely day to celebrate our nation's 243rd birthday!
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth of July!

    My mother would tend to get raspberries, in addition to other berries, and freeze some for desserts over the winter, while making jam of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect way to start the day. Happy 4th! And those raspberries look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those raspberries look excellent. If I lived closer you would have noooo trouble keeping up.
    The walk sounds wonderful, and forest bathing is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said about the benefit of walking in a forest. I wrote about it for tomorrow too. I couldn’t agree more!

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice of you to share your bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes each day can be lovely for those of us who are free to be. Those raspberries look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love both the forest bathing and the raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to Whatcom County raspberries soon and lovely walks around Bellingham.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a great Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those raspberries are gorgeous! Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got in a Thursday hike! Your berries look wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't overcast the best? I use to be a sun worshiper but today, give me overcast. Glad you had such a nice walk, coffee and treat then was blessed with a pile of raspberries. Sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love to read your post about the benefits of walking in nature. I so agree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree about a walk in the forest, but maybe not at your speed. :-)
    We have raspberries in our new patch. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you had a great holiday D J!! I was feeling puny the day after...I think a touch of food poisoning. But, feeling better now. Love the small, intimate group of ladies...the pucture is post-card perfect. And, on the back you could write 'wish you were here!'

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of a forest bath. No wonder you're so healthy. Forests are not easy to get to here on Oahu.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.