Tuesday, April 16, 2019

In the fullness of time

Blossoms galore
Yes, I know I've written about this tree full of blooms before, but I can't help myself. They change every day, and on this day the beauty of these blossoms cannot be denied. In another day or two, they will make a white carpet of petals underneath the tree, and green leaves will have taken their place. Since I took this yesterday, it's possible the changeover has already begun.

When I got home from the gym yesterday, I learned about the ongoing massive fire at the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. Although I have been to Paris, I didn't visit the Cathedral and instead spent my day off at the Eiffel Tower. Now, I wish I had made the effort to get to the Cathedral, because it will never be the same, even if they completely restore it. Thankfully, it's not gone entirely; the two bell towers still exist, and a third of the roof was spared, because of the heroic efforts of 400 firefighters.

I cried as I watched this historic place go up in flames. And this morning on TV I watched huge throngs of people singing hymns outside of what is left, and I cried again. This is the beginning Holy Week for many Christians, and I know I am not alone in grieving for the loss of this more than 800-year-old treasure.
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life's search for love and wisdom. --Rumi
I learned today that Paris has made a commitment to rebuild Notre Dame within the next five years. Contributions are pouring in from around the world. I hope I live long enough to see it happen.
:-}

10 comments:

  1. The massive fire at the Cathedral of Notre Dame was so very sad. I understand why you cried watching it. I am the same way, so I don't/can't watch this kind of news coverage. Too too REAL!

    You are so right about the blooms on the tree, we must enjoy them while they last...for their season will be over before we know it.

    Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was heart breaking to see it burning. I have been is this wonderful and historic cathedral, one of my lasting memories of our travels abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same things, Jan. You expressed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went inside Notre Dame when I was in Paris in Nov 1969. Beautiful stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how fast and large contributions are coming in to rebuild Notre Dame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been watching the news...sounds sad:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartbreaking.
    I am very, very glad the beauty is to be rebuilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know they will rebuild but the handiwork from 800 years ago can't be duplicated, only our modern version. Its draw was the ancientness. It would be like rebuilding a pyramid. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first saw it on a television screen walking through an office area, and it was heartwrenching. Notre Dame is one of those places that transcends national borders and is part of our common human culture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that billions have been raised already. And to think it dates back 800 years is almost beyond comprehension.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.