Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The whole glasses thing

Maiden voyage with my new glasses
This whole business of getting cataract surgery and trying to decide what to do with the resulting eye situation has been harrowing. Not to mention that a week ago I seemed to burst a blood vessel in my right eye and looked a little hideous without glasses to hide behind. It's almost completely cleared up now, though. Whew!

I really wanted to just have glasses for driving and sitting in movie theaters where I needed to see every little detail. So I bought myself a lovely pair of distance lenses that have Transitions and anti-glare, but I found myself at a complete loss when wearing them and not being able to see anything close up. It was driven home to me when I was on a hike in the rain and couldn't see well enough to latch my chest strap. Since I needed both hands, and one of them was holding up the glasses, my level of frustration helped me decide to get progressive lenses.

Now I've worn progressives for decades and love them, but I didn't want to spend the extra money, and therefore I ended up spending twice as much. But the good part is that I have an extra pair of distance glasses and now I can see everything just great with my new glasses. They also have Transitions and anti-glare, plus I don't have to take them off to see up close. Other than needing another visit to the store for additional fitting (the nose pieces pinch), I couldn't be happier.

Now that I've written this post, I think I skip down to the optical shop and get that little task taken care of. I need to add a few more steps to my daily quota anyway.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. A song comes to mind, "I can see clearly now". It sounds like you have finally settled on a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would think that after undergoing eye-surgery, there would be no need for glasses, but I it seems not so.
    I hope your new glasses serve you well.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have the glasses situation handled. Happy sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacles are always a pain.I can never get a prescription of what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found a solution. Glasses are very expensive but there is a place on the internet where they are cheaper you just need your script. I hope to try it for a second pair.
    I just need reading glasses, but I do have a pair of progressives...I use them for night driving to make things clearer:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's good to be able to see where you're going! My problem with glasses is that I don't wear them all the time. One pair for distance, one for reading. But most of the time I don't wear glasses at all ... and spend a lot of time looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your eyesight improves with the new glasses. Good luck and best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, I too "chose" to continue to get progressive lens after cataract surgery. Yes, you can do without them and see pretty well... but with them you can see in all situations. Wearing glasses doesn't bother me and I prefer to see the best I can at all times for as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After cataract surgery I still need glasses to see close up, too--in fact trifocals because I need to be able to see the computer but need to see really close up, too. I wasn't surprised because everyone in my family who has had cataract surgery still needed glasses afterwards--bifocals or trifocals--even if the top part is nothing but glass--LOL! I can see far away just fine for the first time in my whole life, though. Things are so much brighter that sunglasses became a new necessity, too. Glad you are getting the glasses thing all sorted out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you have sorted out your eye problem. Nothing worse that not being able to focus on things. You look good in glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've worn glasses all my life. I don't mind them except when I'm skiing. They always fog up under my goggles. I've worn progressive lenses for many years and they work great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wore Polaroid's with little readers on the bottom part of the lens. I could see into the trout stream and also three a line through a size 20 hook otherwise impossible for a far sighted fisherman...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done the same - minus the cataract surgery. I bought a single vision pair that was worthless when it came to seeing anything semi-close. Then I caved and bought the progressives - I like them so much better. But I usually only wear my glasses at night since I wear contacts during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't get used to the progressives and ended up with bifocals instead. I'm glad you're really taking care of your vision. It's your eyesight and you have to do and pay what you need to preserve it. I'll need that surgery some day too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And you look mighty dapper in your 'shades'. If I ever need eyewear, it'll definitely be transition lenses!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.