Saturday, October 21, 2017

Getting my eyes done

Melanie took this of me on Thursday
I kind of like this picture Melanie took of me last week. It shows me in full rain regalia. It was necessary then, and will be necessary today. We are expecting an atmospheric river of rain, which will also reach down to California, which should help with the firefighting.

This morning more than a dozen of us ladies (and that one man) met in light rain to walk twice around Lake Padden, one of our regular walks. On the second time around, we saw these mushrooms, missed the first time. If I'm not mistaken, these are a strain of amanita, which are supposedly psychedelic. If so, I think there's a stoned critter (probably a squirrel) walking around, as I look at the bites taken out of them.
Mushrooms
I remember seeing these often in Colorado, although they were brilliant red with white dots just like these. Anyway, the rain pretty much stayed away for the second trip around, and then Lily and I headed over to the Farmers' Market to wander around and get a bite to eat. The vendors are fewer with each weekend, but the market will stay open until the last Saturday before Christmas, with lots of opportunities to buy presents toward the end of the season.

It will be more than a month before the first of my eyes will be operated on, replacing the cloudy lens with a synthetic one. Times have changed so much in the last few decades; now it's a commonplace surgery. On our hike last Thursday, someone asked when my surgeries are scheduled. "I get the first one done on November 28th," I said, "and the third eye in December." Everybody laughed before I realized my mistake. Well, I mused afterwards, that third eye I guess will be my own responsibility to get all cleared up. I'll work on that.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Smiling at your third eye comment. And so glad that surgery can restore your vision.
    Have a truly wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoned critter!! Funny.
    I too love the photo of you in your rain gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, funny mistake *wink* *wink* *wink*.
    Love the picture of you in the rain gear, surrounded by the trees, it gives a magical feeling.
    Good luck with your eye surgeries, I will be waiting for your opinion on the difference, and will be following in your footsteps before long.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Third eye indeed! Glad the surgeries are soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know, some of us do have eyes in the back of our heads. It was necessary when teaching young kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always amazed at how you west coasters get out in the worst rains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite an atmospheric picture of you in the dark misty rainforest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a funny vision of a wide-eyed squirrel staggering through the forest! Ha! Good luck on getting your eyes fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo of you in your element! You still have about five weeks to wait for your surgery. Are you good at putting drops in your eyes? You will have lots of drops:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been told (a couple of years ago) I have the first signs of cataracts forming, but I'm having absolutely no symptoms yet, so until I do....

    I wish you well. I'm sure things will be fine and you'll be much better off after the surgeries are done. You won't need a third eye then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job you didn't taste the mushrooms or you would have had more than 3 eyes to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I hope you are good at eye drops or SmartGuy can put them in for you. Lots of eye drops. The surgeries were much easier than I expected and you can't see anything while they are doing it--just random light show. (You may remember how nervous I was--LOL!) The world will be much brighter!

    I am picturing a squirrel or rabbit or mouse stoned in the mountains--LOL! So glad you have good rain gear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I guess you gals didn't scare off the one man. Bet he brags about his gaggle of ladies to his friends:)) I'm thinking that third eye explains your uncommon insight.
    It is wonderful that the surgery has become so common place and successful. Think you will love the brighter world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo of you on the fern-lined path ... a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your eye surgeries. Hope they are not too expensive and are covered by insurance. David recently had cataract surgery, and he notices the improvement in vision.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suspect your third eye is functioning just fine!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.