Saturday, September 23, 2017

Autumn begins

Pumpkins and mums
Sure signs of fall: pumpkins nice and fat, and chrysanthemums everywhere, the fall flower (along with beautiful dahlias) that bloom late in the year. There's a crispness to the air, which in our part of the world is clear and brisk with some white puffy high clouds beginning to form.
Chris, my walking partner this morning
We walked at Lake Padden today, and I liked this picture showing the long morning shadows and Chris having already removed her coat and wrapped it around her waist. We only had ten women show up this morning, but it was still a lot of fun to visit with everybody. Chris and her husband Richard have just returned from England, where they did the coast to coast 200-mile-long trek. They have done the entire Camino de Santiago in Spain (500 miles) and the arduous Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier, but Chris said this one was by far the hardest. Partly because of mud and boggy trails that just wouldn't quit. Hardy hikers, those two.

And I just returned from seeing an interesting movie at our local theater: Menasch, about a Hasidic Jew who had recently lost his wife and was forced to give up his son to be raised by his brother. The entire film is in Yiddish and introduced me to some of the curious customs of this reclusive segment of Jewish society. It was hard to follow sometimes and not exactly uplifting, but I'm glad I saw it. The link takes you to a review by The Atlantic.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. Intrepid trekkers indeed. I have heard tha the coast to coast is hard - but it would be very rewarding as well.
    Have a wonderful autumn (and life). I do love the crispness of the season - and the arboreal fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You friend is a devoted hiker indeed. It sounds like perfect hiking weather for you now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That crispness in the air is refreshing for walking, but I do miss the warmth on the patio in the afternoons.
    We now have youth soccer on Saturdays and Sundays and football- college and NFL, on the TV on weekends. And the Sounders season continues. Fall has its rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell that you would like to do a couple of those walks...maybe Comino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of fall, and you captured them perfectly with your photo of the flowers. It is raining like crazy here. Fall has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pumpkin pic! Oh I'm so enjoying the cool fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it's fall already. I'm afraid we don't notice it in Hawaii.There's so much on our plate until the end of the year. Nothing bad, just stuff to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pumpkins, and perfect weather for your hiking activities !
    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the break in the heat. Ahhhh. Sometimes a smaller group is better for you get to visit more easily. Kudos to Chris. That is some really serious hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty pumpkins and mums! Your friend must have a whole bunch of interesting stories from the long hikes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fall days here, too...even if they might be cloudy and rainy--LOL! That movie looks like it might be worth straining my eyes to watch with subtitles. It's not out on Netflix yet, but will be eventually. I am always fascinated by other cultures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My nephew's wife is Jewish, and I dated a few Jews in New York back in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those fall photos. Buddy has me decorate each season and this year he added wreaths for our doors. So far our first days of fall have been super hot. We even swam in the lake this Sunday to cool down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to check the movie out to see if I can find it here. This Podunk town probably won't have it in the theaters, so I will check online also.

    Love the morning shadows and really ENJOYED the autumn colors in you first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really enjoying sunny hikes this fall, as witnessed from your previous posts. Glorious vistas all. Well, I guess fall just started, but for me it starts September first.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.