Saturday, May 6, 2017

Crazy beautiful weather

Light coming through the honey
This morning eighteen of us ladies gathered for our Saturday morning walk, and it was simply sublime. We covered five miles or so in brilliant sunshine. Today's weather is the reason why we all stick around through all the dreary days of winter; it was crisp and cool, sunny and magnificent. We'll probably get almost to 60°F (13°C) today, same as yesterday, when it rained most of the day. The temperature, if you can believe it, on Thursday, the day of our hike, made it all the way to 80° here in Bellingham before thunderstorms moved in. All day long yesterday the temperature fell. It was weirdly humid and hot on Thursday, but today it's just perfect! Lily and I went to the Farmers' Market afterwards for some items and I saw this great picture (above).
Front porch flowers
My front porch is showing off some of the flowers I've gathered for the season. Only one plant made it through the winter in that middle box, but I've filled it with new flowers, even a begonia (my first). If I keep the pansies well watered, they should stay all summer long.
Pansies and coral bells (?)
I also have some giant pansies on the left, and I bought and repotted the plant on the right, but I'm not sure exactly what it's called. I figure one of my readers will know, but Lynn thought maybe they are coral bells, which makes sense, looking at the flowers. Anyhow, my front porch gives me great pleasure every time I walk out the door these days. And the community garden is finally getting planted, too. I'll show you how it's coming along soon.
:-)

20 comments:

  1. That honey is beautiful. A delicious work of art.
    Crisp and cool is our weather (mostly) at the moment too. And I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is coral bells, Jan. That's what we call it anyway.

    The honey photo s beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice day for you. We are caught up in flooding rains and possible snow tonight. We have pansies out and I may bring in the planter this eve.
    I love the honey photo. An going to have a tea and honey noe as I suddenly feel the need, always an inspiration in your posts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so observant DJan noticing the sun through the honey pots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for your wonderful weather! Your farmers markets are so much more interesting than ours. So glad you had such a lovely walk with the other ladies. And your flower porch is great! I would love to do the same thing if we had a porch, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are having sunshine. We have wind and gloom again. It was 99 degrees on Thursday, today it's 63! We got the fans out of storage and shifted the HVAC to AC. This morning we turned it back to heat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're hoping for sunshine tomorrow, but it's still very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We appreciated the sun today as we went into the city to a soccer match, and then later plant shopping with Jill and the kids. Now I am waiting for it to warm back up!
    Yes, coral bells, a type of heuchera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers for the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous weather and beautiful flowers. It was 82 here yesterday, too! Kind of bizarre this early in the spring, but it was beautiful and sunny. Today, too, but not quite as warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our weather has been like that recently, extremely hot and humid one day, then cool and sunny the next?? It usually brings thunderstorms and tornadoes, but when it doesn't, we certainly appreciate it.
    Love your porch flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not have a green thumb, so I appreciate your plants and flowers. However, I will be green with envy when your vegetable garden starts coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a marvelous day and five miles is more like it--for me anyway. Love the illuminated honey and your porch is delightful. Think you will love the begonia. Hope the sun stays a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Coral Bells, here they are considered a Perennial! Your photo of the amber honey is striking! I am glad you are having good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love honey. Liquid gold! We had a wonderful walk today too. In a beautiful wooded forest up north. You would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a 'Chamber of Commerce' day for you after the walk, and at Farmer's Market. Or would that be FARMERS' market? Hmmmm.

    Love the shadowed pansies. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous flowers. Spring really has arrived in your corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's nice to have some dry days - finally!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear DJan, yes, coral bells. I planted them in my perennial gardens in Minnesota. Here I have no flower gardens, but I do have some lovely shrubs. I look forward to seeing photographs of your community garden. Have you found some good recipes for the vegetables you grow each year? Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy honey, it does look gorgeous. Your plants look beautiful on the balcony DJan and I hope your weather is kind and they last a long time.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.