Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The YMCA will keep me sane

The stationary bikes at the Y
Today I went to the Y for my usual 9-10:00am class of Strength and Tone, which was fine, no pain at all, but then again it's mostly upper body weight work. I rode this bicycle for fifteen minutes before class, also without pain, and asked my friend Carol (who was in the 9:00 class too) if she would take a couple of pictures of me using the gym. She was happy to do so. Behind this particular very comfy bike style, you can see the ones with the skinny little seats, which are nowhere near as pleasant to ride as these. There are six of this particular style and at least one is always in use. You can make it hard or easy to pedal, and since I'm trying to keep my knee happy, I'm using a lighter setting. I might work up to making it harder to pedal if my knee cooperates.
The rowing machine
Yesterday Al saw me on the bike and suggested I give the rowing machine a try, since it would not only burn more calories but also give me an upper body workout. So today I tried it, and I found that it doesn't hurt my knee at all to use it, and in no time at all I could feel myself begin to perspire. Yep, these kinds of machines are going to be my new pals to help me get through without my hikes and fast walks.

Tomorrow I'll be going to my first yoga class since I hurt my knee and hopefully I'll find that I can do most if not all of the poses without knee pain. I guess it's noticeable that I'm limping: I walked by a little boy of three or four with his mom today, and I could hear him telling his mom that he can walk like that, too. He stiffened up his little legs and marched alongside her.
:-)

25 comments:

  1. Love your determination. Smiling at the small boy.
    Cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and in fact, even tho I KNOW you love your Senior Hikes, this gym and the use of the equipment will be a nice change of pace for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, Jan. You got this!

    I wear a brace on my leg and my three year old granddaughter always asks about it and wants to see it. It is a teachable moment with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knew you could never just sit around at home and recoup... not if other options were available. The Gym sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you were able to get some exercise in, pain-free. I hope it heals soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing what's in gyms today to keep people active when other parts don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you would find a workable plan B to stay active. Way to go. I used that same type of bike in cardio rehab. It was more comfortable than my stationary bike at home. Cracked up at the little boy mimicking your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you are able to workout on some equipment. Here's to keeping sane when you're recouping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that type of bike and a rowing machine too. Really enjoyed them when I was doing the cardio program. Can't stand those other bikes with narrow seats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a bike similar to that in my garage, for when walking is not an option.
    I have never been a gym member. Thought about it, but then didn't. But I can see how it would be useful when someone has limitations and needs to find what works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Continue to take care of that knee....
    Love that you are exercising and not hurting it.
    Thanks to Carol for taking those splendid pictures of you. It's always wonderful to see you!
    Sending hugs to you....
    Always,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you found some alternative ways to keep active. Here's hoping the knee heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see you have it wrapped! Good for you! You can still ice it after your exercise:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've found exercise that works for you. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a lot of fun, but do be careful about stressing that knee. I found that yoga instructors were usually pretty good finding ways to avoid hurting areas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the rowing machine. It exercises different muscles than other machines and has never bothered my knees! Good luck with yoga and the knee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you! Wait for the healing to catch up to your drive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just catching up and am so sorry to hear about your knee. Your attitude is wonderful and great that you have found other ways and means to keep in shape, so when your knee is recovered you will be in shape to hike as usual. Keep doing what you are doing and do not strain :) My tulips are approx 1/2 inch outta ground....WAHOO.....spring is springing, birds are singing. I'm feeling it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such an inspiration, DJan. If only I could be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First, I'm so jealous you have lilacs already. What a bummer about your knee. It must be incredibly frustrating to be sidelined from all those beautiful hikes. You are one active lady though. Leave it to you to come out of this more physically fit on your upper half. Go DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, looks like the gym will be your friend for now. I hope the yoga went well. Just be careful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Makes a change I suppose but don't overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you, keeping up the exercise. I started going to the Y about six weeks ago, and I love it. Using a Nu-Step version of the machine you're using, but soon I'll be ready to take my free session with a trainer to figure out what other machines might be good for me. I'm loving the mix of people there, and the fact that people in every sort of shape (literally and figuratively) come in and feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well I had to read back a bit to see just what happened to your knee. It sounds incredibly painful (I know what a tough broad you are!) and hopefully will heal reasonably quickly. You're probably anxious to get out there on your hikes but try not to push it too soon. Sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.