Thursday, January 29, 2015

Lookout Mountain and Stimpson Reserve

Diane staying warm
It was pretty cold when 13 Senior Trailblazers began an around-town hike, beginning at the Lookout Mountain Preserve. You can see it was sunny when we started, but it didn't stay that way for long, since low clouds, also known as fog, covered the sky for most of the day. Our plan for the day was to hike the trails in the preserve and then head on over to the Stimpson Reserve where we would have lunch.
New tree growing out of a nurse log
As these old stumps deteriorate, they make good places for new seeds to take root and grow. They are called nurse logs, or in this case, a nurse stump from a long-ago logging operation. I had never heard of one before I moved here, but everyone around here knows what they are.
The group heading over to see the waterfall
One of our side trails took us to a place where we could look out at an impressive waterfall. I took several pictures, and this one with my new camera is set at "super vivid" as I wanted to see just how vivid that might be. The picture I took of the nurse log was not in that setting, but was pretty vivid anyway. Take a look at the waterfall.
Lookout Mountain waterfall
I noticed that the clouds, which had kept us chilly for most of the day, were beginning to break up a little. We must have been caught in a temperature inversion, because it grew colder as we descended in elevation on our way back to the cars.
Finally beginning to break up
We piled in and headed over to the Stimpson Family Nature Reserve, where we made our way to Geneva Pond and stopped to have lunch. By this time, most of the clouds were gone, but where we were we could see the sunshine, but it didn't reach us. It was still quite a nice place to stop, and once we started around the other side of the loop, we reached full sun!
Bob, Doug, Kirk, Kathleen, Rita, Carol, Al, Sharon
I asked those nearby to let me take a picture of them in the sunshine, which gave me a chance to stay there for a few seconds extra and enjoy the rays, too. Stimpson Reserve is a beautiful place, but most of us were quite happy to head back home after more than seven miles for the day.
Heading home
The sun, all the green, and the lack of rain made it just a lovely way to spend the day. Al had considered maybe making a trip up to the High Country, since the snow level is way down, but it would have been a long drive and a hard hike. I'm glad we stayed close to home and had a chance to do plenty of visiting with each other.

All pictures were taken with my new camera, a Canon PowerShot SX160 with 16X optical zoom. I haven't tried the zoom out all the way yet, but the camera so far is performing wonderfully for me. It's similar enough to the SX150 I had before, but it doesn't have any of the annoying glitches that had started to take over the old one. So far, so good. And Doug took this picture of me in front of the falls, with my iPhone 6. Both of these cameras will be going with me on my trip.
Me with a waterfall growing out of my head
All in all, it was a good day, spent with good friends, and not a raindrop was to be seen anywhere!
:-)

20 comments:

  1. laughing at your waterfall sprount. :) i do like that 'vivid' photo! glad you had a good day out and spots of sunshine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those waterfalls are def cool...
    i had not heard of nurse logs/stumps...how cool that the old can give and make way for the new like that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics, DJan! The waterfall is vivid, but I like the last one 'heading home' the best. If I enlarge it, it feels like I'm walking right behind you guys on that trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had full sun here all day - no fog for a change! - but I had to ignore it because we are busy working indoors. Our cleaning and painting project in the kitchen is finally winding down. I'm tired of scrubbing.
    Thanks for sharing what kind of camera you got. The small Canon Power shots are so easy to carry around and easy to use too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad it didn't rain over there. Nothing's worse than wet clothes and boots. You look like you had a recent hair cut. Very nice photo of you next to the water fall. All in all, I agree that it was a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the same camera I have for in my parka pocket in the winter and when I don't want to lug my other camera. I looked for a viovid on mine I have a fireworks vivid but thats all mine is several years old. I should probably play more with mine. Yours takes really good photos I am sure you will like it. That is a pretty waterfall and yes I smiled at the one growing out of your head. Nice hike:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a good day but nevertheless challenging. It was a bit cold and you were always looking over your back for those darn clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos D'Jan, so glad you had good weather in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty waterfall! Glad you got outside - any time spent outside is time well spent, I say! Have fun with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some really lovely photos today. I love the nurse-tree, the waterfall, the clouds and your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the prettiest smile, DJan. I broke out in a smile just looking at you. I also LOVE your silver hair. I'm so jealous. I now have the big Canon Powershot, but haven't taken it out for a long length of time. I'll have to do that in April to see what it can do. I can just imagine the photos you'll be taking in Turkey. That nurse log photo is awesome! The colors are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had almost forgot about nurse logs. Nice area to play

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nurse logs are new to me also. Nature really is the best recycler isn't she. Loved that last shot and amazingly, you stayed dry with a waterfall pounding your head:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the nurse tree, waterfall, and you the best. Glad you and the new camera are getting along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the nurse log and the waterfalls and your hike looks invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I just love the sunshine you had for your hike. We have had gray foggy days here all week. There may be some sunshine today, though, as the fog burned off early.

    I'm sure you're going to have a great time in Turkey and will send back wonderful photos, what with all of your photography equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I first saw nurse trees when we hiked in the temperate rain forest in Washington. I was fascinated and loved their name (as a nurse myself). Nice day for a great hike.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! Interesting abut these nurse trees. Have seen this in the Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful!! As always. And your smile began my day with a warm feeling. I smiled back.

    The waterfall seems to be the sparkling silver of your hair color. Great composition whomever took the image of you DJ.

    ReplyDelete
  20. laughing at the sprout on der top of yer head buddy. Looks like a lovely day = happy smiles. Cool fact about the "nurse trees" - what great nutrition this would be, eh. I am going to check out this new camera of yours. Thanks for the info and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.