Thursday, October 23, 2014

Old enough to know better, we went anyway

Carol, Peggy, Rich, Diane, Al, Chris, Kirk
It never fails to amaze me when I get to the Senior Center to find that nine other crazy Seniors decided to give today a chance for a hike. Although we were scheduled to go into the High Country, because of the forecast I was sure we wouldn't be doing that, and I was right. Instead, we drove a short distance to  Stewart Mountain to hike the Olsen Creek area. The forecast was for it to be "breezy with showers."
It was dark in the trees, but it sheltered us from the wind and rain
When we started out, it was with a light rain, nothing we couldn't handle. But soon we stopped to add more layers, as you can see in that first picture. Raincoats and rain pants were not quite enough for some. Chris, in the above picture, added her yellow poncho, but I never quite got around to putting on my new red one. Since we were traveling uphill, I was pretty comfy.
Mikey struggling to keep his umbrella in check, Steve helping
And then we were out in the wind. I think it was a bit optimistic to call it a "breeze," since it was sending the rain sideways and gusting to at least 30-40mph. After going a mere two miles, we had a little conference to decide whether we wanted to continue on or turn around. We did the smart thing and turned around. On the way back, I saw just the littlest bit of a view.
Not much view, but it was as good as we got all day
You can see the trees bending in the wind and in the distance Lake Whatcom and farther out, Bellingham Bay. We trudged back through the rain and mud, and once we reached the shelter of the trees, the rain had stopped. By the time we made it back to the cars, having only traveled four miles total, we decided to have our lunch inside the Haggen store at Barkley.
Chris and Rich having a nice warm lunch
The nice thing was that we could get hot soup and coffee to enjoy with our packed lunches, and that's just what we did. It's not often that we get to sit around and talk with everybody at lunchtime; usually on a day like today we are huddled miserably under a tree and making the best of a tough situation, eating lunch as quickly as possible. Not today: we were all relaxed and warm. And it's still early as I finish writing this post, a long time before it's wine o'clock. For once on a Thursday I'm not tired, so I will have to think how I want to spend the rest of this day. The rain started up again, but now I'm actually seeing a little sunshine to go along with it!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. i did notice your post came thru early today! :) sideways driving rain would be no fun to walk in/against! good save on the indoor lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he i am glad you went...but also that you had the sense to turn back as well....def dont need anything happening to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, it's always nice to have hot soup on a day like that one.
    I always wonder what you would have done if someone had a heart attack during a hike. How would you get help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dry, hot soup, and a packed lunch in a warm dry room....now that's my kinda hike. LOL

    Yes, yes, I can 'see' what the wind is doing to those trees....my goodness you nine are a brave lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we've had some of those high winds with the "side tails" of a hurricane passing by us on the bay of fundy. The rain has not stopped for 4 days because of the slow moving attitude it has. You all don't surprise me in the least. I could see you are a hardy bunch, and heck, lets just go and see how far we get, eh. Nice attempt and always nice to gather for lunch and relax. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. That you only travelled four miles in rough weather is, indeed, a sign of your brilliance.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard this morning on the news that you have rain and wind and an unheard of tornado someplace in the PNW too...and another low coming in. I suppose you will be sending that windy cool weather this way...just when I thought this was the best October weather wise in MN history!
    Mikey Poppins looks like he might fly away:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to be able to have the time for a long lunch and chat. Surely a positive note to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your title ... and, you survived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may be protected from the wind in the forest but there are other risks. Trees are sometimes blown down without warning. Branches fly off too so I'm glad you turned back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We watched that storm from indoors. Better you than me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such the pioneer. I am a very fair-weather hiker. Heck, I'm a fair-weather anything. Not too cold, not too hot. And hike in rain? That's just crazy talk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Now that sounds like a great way to hike. Go out for a short bit of cold and crazy weather and then spend time nice and warm chatting while you eat a leisurely lunch. Perfect! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa- sideways rain? Yeah...the early end was probably a good thing. And hot soup to boot- oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ps...DJ? If you're asking about the solar eclipse then, no I couldn't 'cause you need a special filter for the lens or the lens would 'burn'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Discretion is assuredly the better part of valor. Good for you for lunching and visiting together afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.