Saturday, October 6, 2012

Vashon Island retreat

Deb, Sandi, Sally, Jann (standing), and Linda at Lavender Hill
And me behind the camera! I brought along my tripod, but it was buried deep inside the trunk of Linda's car. The adventure began BEFORE this picture was taken of brand-new "skin" friends. Deb and Sandi drove north from southern Washington in Sandi's car, and Jann and I met at Linda's to drive to SeaTac and pick up Sally, who flew in from Colorado. The four of us set out for the Vashon Island Ferry. We promptly got lost, even though we had a GPS and two iPhones with maps. Getting to that ferry was an adventure in itself! We missed the ferry we thought we would be taking over to the island and, thanks to cellphones, we discovered that the other two got lost, too! They even ended up taking a different ferry that stopped at Fauntleroy ferry dock before going on to Vashon Island. By late afternoon, we all successfully ended up together.
And this farmhouse! It is the most beautiful place I could ever imagine. The late afternoon light is coming through the covered porch and lighting up the fall colors of the trees. You will be seeing more pictures of this wonderful place, but this morning we are waking up, taking showers, and getting ready to go out for breakfast. Back to yesterday: we still had the task of preparing dinner. Sandi brought the food, and three of us were happy to chop and stir, while the other three (one was me) sat and watched with admiration as the dinner took shape.
I went outside and caught this picture of our dinner coming together in this magnificent kitchen. Everything we could ask for, plus more! As we got everything together and sat at the dining room table to enjoy a fantastic dinner with each other, there was never a lull in the conversation. There was not one moment of thinking we were with "strangers." Thank you, Blogosphere! This is better than I could ever have imagined, and we have two more days!
Oh, and did I mention that we have a fantastic view of Mt. Rainier from the living room? We are blessed with perfect weather (if a bit on the chilly side), and lots and lots of adventures to come. Before I post this, I'm going to get some feedback from the others, and then YOU can join us!
:-)

33 comments:

  1. My lord, what a view, and that sounds like such fun! Tell Linda hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fact that you got lost with all that modern technology! Have a great weekend. What bedroom did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ferry could have been a debacle and a half. glad you managed that okay. i LOVE the shot of the ladies thru the window. there is such a sense of warmth and camaraderie in it. soak it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice...looks like you are set for a great time...and what cool moments will be shared together....its a cool looking place and you have to love that view...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a good time. I'm wondering if the women are blogger friends - something you said above, or old friends. Regardless, what beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a lovely spot. I love the photo through the window. You must tell us the back story behind this gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize Sandi, because I read her blog! How nice to meet blog friends there. That house is so beautiful. I would love to have a covered porch like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The view is awesome, Jan...just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognize nearly all of you from reading your blogs, and I must say you have a fabulous collection of wise and warm women there. Between the remarkable people and the oh-so-beautiful setting, this is bound to be a memorable weekend. And maybe just the first of many?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! That's so funny that you all got lost! Wow! That does look like a beautiful place and view!! So exciting that you all got to meet each other and I can hardly wait to hear more and see more pictures!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does look like a beautiful place. Glad you all arrived safely if somewhat circuitously. I'll look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In spite of the travel delays, seems you had a wonderful time. Glad it worked out. And thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous adventure, and perfect setting!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And to think...without the internet and your blogs, you guys might never have met. What a truly unique experience and in such a beautiful place. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place for a blogmeet. And I am so glad that the awkward moments that being with strangers can produce seem to be absent.
    I am really, really happy for you all. More pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's hard to believe isn't it...ten years ago your lovely weekend wouldn't have happened and now.... Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now did I miss something or did you leave links for these blogs? I would like to visit these blogs.
    Always a treat to meet another blogger.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great get-together. The venue looks perfect and the company - all good cooks by the look of it. That last picture is quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a wonderful time! I follow most of you and just know you'll be having ever so much fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! You let my mom drink wine? I should have warned you that she's a lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm envious....:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that photo of the Mountain - really beautiful indeed. This is such a wonderful way to enjoy yourself, meeting other bloggers - love the shot in the window while the girls are preparing the meal. Cannot wait to hear of your adventures and looking forward to more photos. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun, fun, and more fun....heck, even getting lost, ---tho frustrating at the time--- is all part of the fun adventure and get together.

    But...but, you didn't mention what y'all cooked up for your dinner?!! I was all set to drool. Okay anyway...love the farm house...and LOVE the view of Mt. Rainier.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Getting lost means another adventure. You all had such a great just getting to the destination. I know you are enjoying every minute. The place looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That photo- of the sun burning against the distant mountain: wow. It makes me want to move there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful retreat. I would love to cook with you DJan! But not skydive...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh! What gorgeous photos, DJan. And what a wonderful place to have fun with friends. Mt. Rainier looks so ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a view! So glad it was a good weekend for you..bloggers are great..at least the ones I have met. Sounds like you were in good company! I hope you have more photo..it looks like a perfect place to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I am so happy for all of you. Truly a new experience and new friendships. The place looks so inviting too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi DJan! I came over from Sandi's blog. I read about your wonderful meet up and wanted to see your photos! You girls are so lucky! I have several blog friends I'd love to meet in person, how fun for you.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. That mountain is gorgeous!!!

    How wonderful you were able to have a whole weekend with blogging friends in the "real" world! And what fun that everyone got lost despite all the technology available! lol! Fortunately you all made it in the end. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for all the lovely photos and comments about Lavender Hill Farm - we love it too and will eventually make it our fulltime home.
    For those who commented and want to know more, check out lavenderhillvashon.com or vrbo.com/301090.

    I apologize for the shameless plug, but you all look like you had a blast and really got a sense of the island.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear DJan, this all sounds ideal. Delightful friends, welcoming house, delicious food, and Mount Rainier. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.