Saturday, April 25, 2009

An unexpected stay in Zurich

Here I am looking out the window at 7:00 pm, watching the sun go down here in Zurich (and the day is just starting for you across the water). Macedonian Air (MAT) came through with shining colors. After putting us on a 10:25 am flight on Helvetic Air (a small Swiss airline), we arrived here with our bags and no prospects of getting home. There is no United desk here, but the SAS counter had an absolutely wonderful young man who helped us talk MAT into acknowledging that we were their problem.

Long story, but they have paid for a hotel room for us, dinner (which I just finished, it was salmon and truly lovely), breakfast tomorrow, and we will take our original flights home, just one day later than planned.

The shock of having no warning at 5:30 am of what we had to face today, and its successful conclusion, allows me a little room for rumination. Interesting to me how many people smoke in this part of the world. I sort of expected it in Macedonia, but here in Zurich I went out to the garden outside the restaurant for a beer and had to leave because people arrived with their conversations and cigarettes. It reminds me of the way it used to be in the States but is no longer.

Tomorrow we will finish our journey home, and I can starting thinking more philosophical thoughts, not the all-consuming travel issues. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Zurich is a lovely place and your pictures do it proud. I'm glad you were able to make the best of the situation.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.